1001 Connecticut Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
Position Description: Accountant
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Finance Director
Position Status: Full-time
Direct Reports: None
Location: Washington, DC
Closing Date: April 15th, 2018
Position Summary and Purpose: The Accountant of Millennium Water Alliance (MWA) provides overall support to the Finance department in the areas of general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash receipts, and processing, consolidation, and analysis of financial data from the field offices.
· Receive and review the monthly/quarterly financial reports and files containing accounting transactions from field offices and partners and follow up on all information not submitted on time and resolve discrepancies.
· Prepare and enter journal entries as required.
· Prepare monthly, quarterly and year-end financial close.
· Prepare annual 1099 and 1096.
· Coordinate and record cash receipts of grants, contributions, and miscellaneous income.
· Analyze, research, and develop responses to questions received related to assigned sub grants and sub contracts.
· Provide clear oral and written communication to support financial and non-financial staff on various accounting issues.
· Provide support, as needed, for the audit and proactively seek out resolutions to potential audit findings.
· Perform monthly bank reconciliations and periodic reconciliations of balance sheet accounts.
· Process accounts payable, cash disbursements, accounts receivable, cash receipts, payroll and deductions.
· Develop procedures and updates to support activity related to job functions.
· Maintain filing systems and job-related schedules.
· Prepare grant analysis and reconciliations and donor reports for grants and contracts.
· Provide support to unit and departmental team-based projects as they arise.
· Prepare invoices to USAID and other donors for reimbursement of grants and contracts’ expenditures.
· Preparation of financial statements.
· Assist with the annual and project-specific budget preparation.
- Effective leadership and general management skills to successfully perform the planning, directing, reporting, and administrative responsibilities of this position
- Communicate well with people of diverse backgrounds and comfortable working as part of a team
- Interpersonal, facilitation, persuasion, and negotiation skills to deal with internal and external business relations
- Ability to multitask, set priorities, meet deadlines, work under pressure and adjust to change, with minimum supervision
- Demonstrate excellent customer service and communication skills, both written and oral
- Sound decision-making and problem-solving skills, with great attention to detail and a high level of accuracy
- Ability to analyze and prepare general ledger account reconciliations.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or relevant field. Master’s degree or CPA qualification preferred.
- Minimum 4 years’ accounting experience
- Understanding of GAAP principles
- Conversant with grants and contract management, particularly federal grants
- Conversant with A110, A122, A133, and FAR
- Experience with creating financial statements
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year end close process.
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications and relevant accounting software packages and spreadsheet applications.
- Knowledge of QuickBooks is desired
- Competency with data analysis tools
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
The Accountant will have an assigned workstation/office, telephone, and computer. The position requires some standing, walking, and sitting. This position also requires occasional stooping, squatting or kneeling and regular reaching, bending, and the ability to lift up to 15 pounds. This position involves frequent use of a computer, typing, and phone. The Accountant position also requires communication with employees, customers, and vendors in person, on the phone, and by email. Driving and travel may be required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all associated responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions. MWA reserves the right to change, amend, add, delete, and otherwise assign any and all duties, responsibilities, and position titles as it deems necessary to meet the needs of the business.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply:
This is a full-time permanent position located in Washington DC Salary range is commensurate with experience. MWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action employer that is committed to diversity in the workplace.
Applicants should forward a cover letter, and a list of at least 3 professional references (name, contact information, and statement of relationship to the reference) to MWA.email@example.com. Do not call in reference to this position. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Thank you in advance for your interest. Please make sure to add the “job title” in the subject line of your email.