7111 5th Avenue
The Arab American Association of New York is a designated New York State Office of New Americans Neighborhood Opportunity Center that serves over 200 ESOL and naturalization students yearly. AAANY is currently seeking a part-time Adult Education Instructors to support the organization in expanding the capacity and quality of its Adult Ed programs by providing ESOL and naturalization instruction and helping design course curriculum.
We are seeking experienced English as a Second or Other Language (ESOL) instructors to teach one of the following ESOL levels: literacy intermediate and advanced Instructors will be working with immigrant populations. The ESOL instructor should be able to teach from a student-centered perspective and employ innovative teaching methods and strategies.The positions will begin on November 12th, 2016.
He/she reports directly to the Adult Education Manager.
- Teach and prepare lessons for 1-2 levels of ESOL classes per 8-12 week class cycle under the supervision of the Adult Education Coordinator.
- Communicate with Program Manager regarding apparent barriers to student success
- Attend professional development trainings and Adult Education team meetings.
- Coordinate with Program Manager regarding next steps in student's progress toward their goals
- Assist with registration and testing of new students, participate in student-teacher conferences.
- Maintain attendance and progress records for students as well as individual data management.
Strongly Preferred Qualifications:
- Fluent in Arabic and/or Spanish, Urdu or Mandarin Chinese.
- TESOL certification or Master’s Degree in TESOL, Education, or related field.
- BEST Plus certification and testing experience
- Experience working in a social justice based community organization.
- Knowledge of US naturalization process.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Tools.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Experience working in immigrant communities.
Monday-Thursday, 9am-2pm and Friday from 9:30-11am with a maximum of 13.5 hours total of teaching, including paid prep time, meetings, and trainings for Up to 20 hours/week .
The part-time instructor position is paid at a weekly salary equivalent to $18/hour up to 20 hours/week
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluent in Arabic and/or Spanish, Urdu or Mandarin Chinese.
Proficiency in spoken and written English
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a copy of your cover letter, resume, and certifications (if applicable) to Somia@arabamericanny.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling first-come, first-serve basis until November 15th, 2018.
Job Types on subject line : Part-time, Adult Ed Instructor.