Full Time Temporary
Girls Leadership Summer Program
Position Title: Office Manager
Reports To: Director of Operations
Nature of the Position: Seasonal and Residential
Dates: June 21 – August 15, 2018
Number of Positions: 1
Girls Leadership Description:
Girls Leadership equips girls with the skills to exercise the power of their voice. Our programs include parent-daughter workshops, day camps, a residential summer program, professional development trainings for educators, parent education presentations, and after-school classes.
Girls Leadership seeks an experienced Office Manager dedicated to girls’ social and emotional development to work at its residential summer program at Cate School in Carpinteria CA, from June 21 – August 15, 2018. The Girls Leadership Summer Program is divided into three sessions, 1 ten day session serving 6th grade through 8th grade, 1 fifteen day session serving 6th grade through 8th grade, 1 fifteen day session serving 9th grade through 12th grade.
Under the supervision of the Director of Operations, and in collaboration with Director of Summer Program, the Office Manager manages the office and social media of the Girls Leadership Summer Program.
The Office Manager receives one day off every 7-8 days and two days off in between sessions. Working as a member of the Girls Leadership staff is a unique, exciting and demanding opportunity. Creating the Girls Leadership community requires hard work, long hours, and significant commitment. Staff must maintain a high level of energy, patience, professionalism, and compassion from early morning wake-up to evening staff meetings. This intense work schedule requires stamina and dedication. The result is an incredibly rewarding job transforming the lives of adolescent girls.
Overall Staff Statement:
All Girls Leadership staff are active members in creating an inclusive summer program community. By engaging the fundamental concepts of the Girls Leadership curriculum, we work together to ensure that members of the community identities are celebrated. It is our collective responsibility to challenge and support each other and the girls to work together to create a more socially just and empowering Girls Leadership community.
- Create a safe, nurturing, inclusive community that celebrates each girl.
- Role model the values and skills of the Girls Leadership curriculum.
- Execute customer support to parents and vendors. The Office Manager will respond to all parent inquiries by phone and email.
- Confirm all off-campus trip activities, making phone calls and additional arrangements as necessary.
- Confirm all dietary needs with Cate School staff for on and off-campus days.
- Execute pre-arrival family calls before the beginning of each session.
- Meet daily with Director of Operations.
- Execute and manage daily mail pickup and distribution.
- Manage girl phone calls schedule and logistics
- Manage meal lead and clean up schedule.
- Execute and manage system of girl’s spending money.
- Manage supply inventory and ordering of program supplies in advance.
- Order and Track all summer program supplies.
- Co-manage the close of the program including inventory, packing, and storage.
- Co-support the Arts Intensive Weekend ensuring that visiting teachers and logistics are coordinated.
- Oversee the summer program office space and ensure that the space is clean, organized, and welcoming.
- Manage daily logistics of rental car usage and fuel maintenance.
- Manage any communication with Cate housekeeping staff to ensure the dorm and office is cleaned and organized.
- Document operational Summer Program procedures and save in Dropbox.
- Lead an advisory group four days a week for 45 minutes each day
- Accompany and support their advisory group for the ropes course field trip up to three times over the course of the summer, including belaying at the rope course.
- Create and manage bi-weekly family newsletter
- Take and manage summer photos including Facebook daily posting
- Develop end of session slide show
- Support arrival and departure days including airport trips, setup, and prep work
- Serve as a mandated reporter.
Additional Responsibilities Include:
- Engage in seven full days of staff training at Cate School, June 21 – 29
- Engage in two full days of clean up, pack up and staff evaluation at Cate School, August 13 & 14, 2018
- Call each advisee’s family mid way through each session to update and check in
A sample of a typical day for the Office Manager
8:40 Office Work
1:35 Advisory (4 days a week for 45 minutes)
1:45 Errands & Office Work
7:00 Evening Work *
*Evening work is required after dinner depending on the community needs and work priorities.
Candidates must be at least 25 years of age, have at least 2 years of office/administrative experience, possess basic accounting/bookkeeping skills, have some supervisory experience, thrive in fast-paced environments, and be able to multi-task. Employment is contingent upon a clear background check. Employee must be CPR and First Aid trained by June 21, 2018.
The ideal candidate will:
- Demonstrate a commitment to equity and inclusion practices
- Demonstrate excellent cross-cultural communication skills
- Demonstrate social and emotional intelligence
- Demonstrate the ability to care for oneself during a demanding work schedule
- Demonstrate a “can do” attitude
- Be able to create and manage efficient office systems
- Proficiency of Microsoft Office Excel on PC and Mac platforms
- Familiar with social platforms
- Ability to capture moments through photographs
- Demonstrate excellent writing skills
- Ability to create engaging newsletters
- Engage excellent communication skills
- Engage excellent customer service skills
- Be responsible and self-motivated
- Have the ability to remain flexible and patient in the face of time pressure and multiple demands
- Be detail-oriented and committed to excellence
- Approach crisis management and challenges calmly, creatively, and proactively
- Work effectively with others as part of a team
- Open to and participate in professional observation and regular feedback
- Be passionate about girls’ empowerment and leadership
- Have a current and valid drivers license
- $4,500 for 7.5 weeks of summer program inclusive of staff training and office preparation, June 21- August 15, 2018.
- Room and board at Cate School for June 21 – August 14, 2018
- Total travel reimbursement, for arriving to campus in June and leaving in August, is not to exceed $200 total if traveling beyond a 150 mile radius one-way from Cate School. Point of origin and distance needs to be confirmed with the Summer Program Director before travel.
- Upon arrival only, Girls Leadership will pick up staff arriving to Santa Barbara International Airport and Carpinteria Bus Stop. Girls Leadership is unable to accommodate transportation after the summer due to limited vehicle access.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications will be reviewed and processed in the order received. Application deadline is March 19. Applications should send a cover letter, resume and at least three references' contract information in MS Word or a PDF format to Cora Garner at email@example.com. In your cover letter address how as part of the Girls Leadership team, you will help develop an equitable and inclusive Summer Program community.
The subject line of the email should include your full name and “Office Manager Application.” Please call 866.744.9102, extension 2 with any questions.
To watch the Girls Leadership video, see photos from last summer, or read testimonials please visit www.girlsleadership.org. Girls Leadership is an equal opportunity employer. Individuals of color are encouraged to apply.
Girls Leadership is committed to equal opportunity for all persons without regard to sex, age, race, ethnicity, color, religion, creed, national origin, marital status, gender expression, disability or sexual orientation. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
Cate School is a smoke free environment. No smoking is allowed on Cate School property.