The role of Bookkeeper has primary responsibility for all accounting, bookkeeping and financial management tasks for Camp Coleman in its business office (September-May) and camp office (June-August). This portfolio includes oversight of accounts payable, accounts receivable (in coordination with our Camp Registrar/Business Manager, budgeting and budget-tracking, Union for Reform Judaism (URJ) financial policies and practice, reporting and other related tasks. As both an internal (with our Professional Staff and partners at the URJ) and external (vendors and camp families) resource, the Bookkeeper must combine acute and efficient talent in the key operational areas with effective skills in communication and customer service.
1) Accounting, Bookkeeping & Financial Management (Business Office & Camp Office)
- Collect, distribute, and reconcile all camp funds, which would include camper and staff trip money, extended tuitions, payroll, petty cash, on location accounts payable and international staff payroll.
- Includes responsibility for maintenance of the camp’s storage of funds in our business office and camp office in the summer.
- Manage accounts payable, accounts receivable, and petty cash processes.
- With receivables, coordination with Camp Registrar/Business Manager in order to ensure accurate and seamless maintenance of CampMinder (online camp management and enrollment system) accounts and scholarship awards.
- Responsible for reconciliation of local bank account statements and the communication required with those banks and the URJ for appropriate financial management and transfers, as needed.
- Point person for all year-round salary and payroll requirements with URJ and Human Resources liaison with URJ for the sake of information sharing, paperwork submission (for camp) and other occasional assistance needed.
- Process credit card transactions in accordance with CampMinder and URJ systems.
- Prepare monthly financial package and reports for the URJ and maintain excellent communication and coordination with URJ’s finance office and staff.
- Primary contact person with vendors relating to collections and payments.
- Primary contact person with camp families and synagogues relating to account balances, payments and fees due.
- Build and maintain appropriate relationships with local vendors for prompt and accurate delivery and service. Also evaluate and assess vendor relationship and insure camp is getting best possible pricing.
- Oversight of expense reimbursement process for all Professional Staff (including the tracking of those expenses against budget in real-time system) and point person for purchasing processes by Professional Staff.
- Develop processes in conjunction with Director to insure expenses and revenue are tracking to budget and overall budget reporting is done regularly and efficiently.
- Provide financial support to development (fundraising) staff, as needed.
2) Office Management & Support (Business Office & Camp Office)
- Liaison and coordinator for office support vendors and resources.
- Responsible for office supply and systems inventory and purchasing, as needed.
- Point person with URJ IT (technology and office systems) on year-round basis, with summer staff support in all operations.
- Assistance with summer office staff supervision and responsibility assignment.
Trust & Character
The camp’s Bookkeeper is a member of the professional leadership, and thus is counted on to be a role model and respected by our staff and clients. But it is the unique nature of the Bookkeeper’s areas of oversight that requires this person to be especially trustworthy and representative of the highest personal and professional ethics. Camp Coleman seeks an individual with exceptional character.
Time Management & Flexibility
The ability to focus time on tasks that are more likely to meet goals and are deemed priorities will be a key. The Bookkeeper must be able to assess the needs and opportunities for success, and must be highly organized and able to assist others with those administrative needs that they may have to support the camp’s fiscal management.
The Bookkeeper will be interfacing with important constituents and clients via telephone, e-mail and even face-to-face communication and must always be an effective representative for the camp and able to confidently share the vision for the camp and its program. The Bookkeeper must do all possible – at all times – to provide a positive experience for those connected to Camp Coleman.
The camp community (including parents of campers, vendors, staff members, alumni, lay leaders and other stakeholders) is comprised of a diverse set of individuals, thus the Bookkeeper must feel comfortable speaking with various constituencies. Strong communication skills and a relatable and professional manner will be essential.
A “Can Do” Attitude
The position of Bookkeeper is well-suited for someone with an outlook that is positive, assertive and professional. While this person will be supported as a member of the Professional Staff team, a successful Bookkeeper will be a person who is highly motivated, prepared to learn quickly, and able to take on challenges with a sense that “I can do it”!
During working hours, must be able to be present in off-season business office (from September through May) and able to reside and work at the summer camp site for the camp season (June through August). Off-season and summer hours to be discussed more specifically. Residential and selected accommodations to be provided at camp for the bookkeeper and their family (as needed).
- Must be able and available to travel, when needed, in support of camp programs and URJ activities.
- Participation in professional development programs, including annual conferences and gatherings, is expected.
Undergraduate degree required, graduate or secondary degree (in a related field) preferred.
- Significant experience in a business environment and knowledge of financial management and bookkeeping systems required.
- Experience and skills with accounting systems and technical comfort and experience required. Systems to be used at Camp Coleman (including, but not limited to):
- MIP (accounting software)
- EFT (check processing)
- Microsoft Excel
- CampMinder (camp enrollment and management software)
- The ability to work independently and proactively, as well as capacity for effective written and verbal communications, is required.
- Familiarity with Judaism and/or Jewish Camping is desirable.
Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD, 403(b), Generous Paid Time Off
Minimum Education Required