1130 17th Street, NW
Defenders of Wildlife is a leading environmental non-profit organization dedicated to the protection of all native animals and plants in their natural communities. The Web Marketing & Social Media Associate is responsible for the management, growth and cultivation of Defenders’ online communities across Defenders’ social networks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Engage Defenders’ online national community across various social media properties, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and blogs.
- Write, edit, and publish social media content based on the strategy managed by the Web Marketing and Social Media Manager.
- Monitor and moderate comments and conversations from our national social community for both paid and organic posts.
- Respond to member questions and concerns through social media, coordinating with Web Marketing and Social Media Manager and the Member Services team as necessary.
- Create weekly and monthly analytics reports tracking key performance indicators (KPI’s) that focus on reach, engagement and other metrics, and use this information to increase overall community engagement.
- Regularly report back to the Web Marketing and Social Media Manager on relevant issues, member concerns and trends in the online community. Monitor and present emerging trends aimed at improving engagement.
- Monitor for brand mentions across all social media and engage with posts that provide an opportunity to positively impact brand reputation.
- Identify and engage target groups and individuals on key issues via social media, coordinating with internal stakeholders as necessary.
- Assist the Web Marketing and Social Media Manager in training Defenders’ staff in using social media to promote their work and relevant issues.
- Assist in creation of graphics and videos for use in online communities.
- Responsible for identifying source material for promotion via our social media channels. This may include internally sourced content, relevant articles and publications and images. This position is responsible for ensuring that the full message presented is in line with Defenders’ position and viewpoint.
- Support Defenders outreach and grassroots activities under direction from the Web Marketing and Social Media Manager. This could include the creation and dissemination of social media tool kits.
- Assist the Senior Director, Acquisition with providing content to email acquisition vendors such as Care2 and ensuring content is current and in line with Defenders’ position and viewpoint.
- Help with Google Grant, paid search, Facebook ads and other web marketing initiatives for both acquisition and retention audiences.
Perform all other duties as assigned under the Web Marketing & Social Media Manager and in support of our overall Integrated Marketing goals.
Education: Bachelor’s (BA/BS) degree or equivalent in marketing, advertising, communications, English or related field.
Experience: Minimum 2 years of experience in managing social media properties (Facebook and Twitter required) and creating social media content for business, organization, agency or similar.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above. Selected applicants will be asked to perform a brief social media content creation exercise.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills; able to manage multiple priorities and changing deadlines
- 2+ years’ experience with social media publishing, monitoring and engagement platforms such as Falcon and Hootesuite
- Understanding of social media’s correlation to marketing, strategic messaging, public relations and community cultivation
- Proficient in Photoshop
- Comfortable working independently and in a team environment
- Passionate and knowledgeable about wildlife, environmental and conservation issues
- Experience with content management systems, particularly WordPress and Drupal
- Experience with paid social media campaigns
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer and communicate with others while doing so.
- General office working conditions, the noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
VALUES AND DIVERSITY:
- Defenders of Wildlife is a national, non-profit membership organization dedicated to the protection of all native wild animals and plants in their natural communities. Our employees work in an environment that is inclusive and honors each of our unique perspectives and backgrounds. We believe that the conservation of biological diversity is best advanced by the contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, beliefs and cultures. We strive toward a collective goal of including all people in the conservation of our Nation’s wildlife and wild places.
- Visit Our Values and Diversity page to learn more about who we are and how we operate
Minimum Education Required