1415 N. Dayton
At Girls on the Run we envision a world where every girl knows and activates her limitless potential and is free to boldly pursue her dreams. We believe in the power and promise of the next generation. Using a fun, experience-based curriculum that creatively integrates running; we teach the life skills our girls need to step into the world as strong, confident women.
Our 10 week, 20 session program occurs after school at 500 school communities across our 8 counties reaching 11,000 girls in 2018. Led by teams of volunteer coaches, Girls on the Run builds social emotional skills in girls in 3-5th grade, while our Heart & Sole program engages girls in 6-8th grade. Each program integrates training for the Girls on the Run 5K into the program as a way of teaching goal attainment.
Volunteers are the heart and soul of what we do. Girls on the Run-Chicago is looking for our next Volunteer Coordinator to engage individuals, corporations, students, and community groups in investing in our mission through service. Working under the guidance of our 5K Manager, the Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for recruitment, training, and managing volunteers for Girls on the Run-Chicago, including support of our four seasonal 5K events, community events, fundraisers, corporate engagement opportunities and office support. A successful candidate will have the ability to engage with, and adapt to, various communities.
The Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for the following areas:
Volunteer Recruitment and Support
- Monitor and coordinate volunteer needs of GOTRC staff and other constituents
- Act as first responder to all volunteer inquiries via phone and email
- Assess, screen and route interested volunteers to the appropriate source
- Collect, maintain and update volunteer contact and personal information for entry into volunteer database
- Provide appropriate orientation of volunteers to the GOTR - Chicago program
- Assist with planning and execution of seasonal volunteer coach trainings
- Coordinate volunteer appreciation events and recognition awards
- Work with Corporate Relations to develop and implement high quality corporate service days in line with mission.
- Recruit and coordinate volunteer groups for four seasonal 5K events per year
- Maintain and update volunteer materials and inventory of supplies
- Coordinate event staff and general volunteer training, and ensure event leadership follows the tenets of good volunteer management
- Assist with preparation and execution of any pre-5K events
- Communicate with community and stakeholders for volunteer recruitment and 5K awareness
- Assist with day-of volunteer orientation and instruction
- Work with online database to maintain current volunteer registration and assignments
Outreach and Program Support:
- Collaborate with the Program Coordinators to identify target markets for expansion
- Attend community events (i.e., festivals, health fairs, race expos) as needed in target areas as a representative of GOTRC
- Additional duties as assigned
□ Bilingual in English and Spanish is highly preferred
□ Bachelor’s degree and 1-3 years of previous experience with nonprofits, volunteering, volunteer organizing and/or education and training
□ Personal passion for the mission of GOTRC and willingness to be a role model for health and self-esteem
□ Familiarity with Chicagoland geography, educational system(s) and community organizations
□ Dynamic and collaborative personality with exceptional people skills that lead to quickly engaging, relating to and motivating a wide variety of GOTRC stakeholders such as community leaders, school personnel, volunteers, children, families and funders
□ Excellent communication skills, including writing, grammar, speaking and presentation abilities.
□ Exceptional project management skills with ability to organize, integrate and manage information from a wide variety of sources and formats
□ Strong computer skills including Outlook, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Google Docs, and Database Management, with working knowledge of/capacity to learn website updating systems.
□ Able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends, with willingness to fill in as needed for program coaching, event coverage, etc.
□ Capacity to maintain the confidentiality of all GOTR - Chicago related information
□ Ability to travel within assigned territory
□ Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs.
□ Applicant must be willing to undergo a comprehensive background check
This position reports to the 5K Manager and is full time. Evening and weekend hours are often required. Vacation blackout periods due to program and event schedule may apply.
Girls on the Run-Chicago is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required