1390 Lawrence Street
The Policy Analyst will support A+ Colorado’s policy agenda through monitoring and analyzing data and policies aimed at driving student performance and school effectiveness in A+ target school districts and Colorado statewide. The Policy Analyst will work with the Policy Director to assist on research and writing of reports and briefs, and will support public communication and advocacy efforts.
Data and policy analysis (50%)
• Identify district and state policies that are likely to have significant impact on student achievement. Monitor impact of current policies on student and school achievement.
• Work with Policy Director to execute annual research and policy agenda for A+ Colorado, including annual assessments of student achievement, and timely policy and practice issues.
• Review data and perform quantitative and qualitative analysis on student performance in schools and districts across the state. Synthesize insights from these analyses.
Report writing and editing (30%)
• Write and edit reports that effectively break down complex policy issues and communicate data analyses to the public
• Provide recommendations based on national and international best practices to improve policy and implementation to accelerate student achievement.
Communication support and community engagement (20%)
• Support efforts to effectively communicate complex policy issues to the public through A+ newsletters, press releases, blogs, etc.
• Meet with stakeholders (partners, district administration, critics) as needed to support collaborative efforts.
• Assist with events and other projects as needed.
Skills and Qualifications
• Commitment to A+’s mission of improving access to excellent educational opportunities and increasing achievement across Colorado, with a particular focus on students from low-income families and students of color. Experience within the public education sector, either in policy, support, or direct service, is a plus.
• Superb writing skills, with a keen ability to communicate complex analyses and policies, and their implications, to a broad audience. Experience producing reports, briefs, or presentations that synthesize complex information for a variety of audiences is preferred.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Excellent quantitative and qualitative research skills including understanding of basic statistics and advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
• Ability to analyze large data sets to find trends, patterns, and correlations
• Self-starter who is goal-oriented and thrives in a fast-paced environment.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
About the Organization
The mission of A+ Colorado (A+) is to harness the power of civic leadership to build public will and advocate for the changes necessary to dramatically increase student achievement in public education in Colorado. Our board and community partners include community leaders across the public, nonprofit, university, and business sectors. A+ Colorado is a growing advocacy, policy and research nonprofit.
About the Team
A+ is seeking an individual excited about improving outcomes for public school students in Colorado. We are a fast-paced organization that will give you the space to be creative on how to achieve your goals while offering the support of an engaged team. A successful candidate will be someone who is willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish a goal, someone who is able to anticipate problems and opportunities without a great deal of supervision, and someone with a strong connection with the mission of the organization. As we are a small but efficient and effective team, this role will also support A+ staff with the execution of other related organizational activities including advocacy campaigns and events.
This will be an exempt, salaried position with matching 401(k) plan after one year, employer sponsored health care coverage, paid holidays, and the opportunity for flexible scheduling.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a cover letter, resume with references, and a writing/research sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.