- EA offers a robust and competitive benefits package, including:
- Competitive Salary
- Paid Holidays, Floating Holidays and Personal Days
- Comprehensive Health Insurance
- Free Gym Membership to our Manny Cantor Center Gym
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- Discounts to programs at Educational Alliance
- Generous Vacation Package
ABOUT EDUCATIONAL ALLIANCE
Since 1889, Educational Alliance (EA) has provided New Yorkers of all ages and backgrounds with a diverse range of programs and services. Headquartered on the Lower East Side, EA serves more than 50,000 people a year through early childhood programs, college preparation classes, elder adult programming, addiction and rehabilitation services, and much more. EA’s work spans four locations throughout the Lower East Side and East Village, including the 14th Street Y and has a firm commitment to inclusivity, diversity, and community.
At EA, we are reinventing how local nonprofits pioneer new programs and deliver direct services to diverse communities. We are the social safety net in action for our clients who need critical services, and we are the community center for our members who want a place to gather and take care of the health, education, and well-being of their families.
WORKING AT EDUCATIONAL ALLIANCE
EA strives to constantly improve as an organization and as a place to work. Our innovative approaches to delivering services also extends to the ways we run our organization.
Our employees and staff at every level are invested in EA and we, in turn, invest in them. That’s why we make professional development a major priority for our employees.
Internal culture is set either intentionally or passively, and at EA we have done everything possible to set an intentional culture that brings together people at every level of our organization to take part in an official Internal Culture Management Team (ICMT). This committee is structured to empower its members, which range from senior leaders to support staff, to think critically about how we can create a better organization for those who work here.
To evolve as an organization, we expect EA employees to not only advocate on behalf of our members and customers, but also actively share how EA can support its employees.
The primary responsibility of the Senior Grant Writer is to develop Letters of Inquiry, Proposals, and Narrative Reports for a range of current and prospective private foundations and government agencies. You will work closely with the Finance Team to develop budgets, budget narratives, and financial reports. You will manage contracts from Pre-proposal through Award, Reporting, and Closeout.
SCOPE OF INFLUENCE
- Inside the agency this individual will be expected to collaborate with Program Staff, Development and Communications Staff, Senior Executive Team members, and Finance Staff.
- Outside the agency this individual will be expected to collaborate with Foundation, Corporate, and Government Officers.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Lead the preparation of concept notes/Letters of Inquiry, proposals, and narrative reports for a variety of funders– tailoring your writing to suit major institutional foundations, government agencies, small family foundations, and, in some instances, individual donors.
- Analyze RFPs, prepare written RFP summaries for program staff, and lead meetings with program staff to discuss RFPs that are up for consideration.
- Perform prospect research to support existing and new programs and create or update funder profiles and briefing materials, as necessary.
- Identify new prospective institutional donors and develop strategies to approach those donors.
- Cultivate relationships with funders.
- Plan and manage site visits for prospective and existing funders – prepare senior team to meet with donors.
- Use a variety of sources to describe Educational Alliance’s 40+ programs and 17 locations in clear and compelling language.
- Provide project management, ensuring that project stakeholders have reviewed and provided feedback on proposals in a timely manner, and obtaining final approval.
- Take ownership of a portfolio of Educational Alliance programs – managing funder priorities and all contractual reporting requirements.
- Collaborate with finance staff to project likely revenue from all donors in portfolio.
- Document all solicitations and gifts using appropriate department procedures.
- BA or BS degree
- 5+ years’ experience with the “full-cycle” grantee process and writing for a high-volume, non-profit Institutional Giving Department
- Superior writing skills and demonstrated experience developing proposals for large institutional foundations and government agencies (including City, State, and Federal agencies)
- Proven track record of grant making success
- Proficiency and experience with helping to develop complex budgets and financial reports
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills
- Ability to make judgment calls in a variety of situations
- Ability to work collaboratively, including with Finance and Program Staff as well as outside partners and funders
- Ability to receive and integrate constructive critiques and feedback into fundraising materials
- Have experience in forward-facing roles – interacting with funders and external stakeholders
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and highly organized with the ability to prioritize deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Windows and Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook proficiency
- Experience working in HHS Accelerator, Grants Gateway, and Grants.gov/Workspace
- Raiser’s Edge proficiency preferred, but not required
Role Key Competencies
Planning and Organizing
Flexible Team Player
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status. Educational Alliance takes affirmative action in support of its policy to employ and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Minimum Education Required