Second Chances puts donated clothing to work for our community, diverting clothing, shoes, and accessories from local landfills while helping our neighbors in need take their first steps toward brighter futures.
Since 2005, Second Chances has provided more than 250 gift cards and 9,000 pieces of clothing, pairs of shoes, accessories, and blankets to more than 3,000 homeless and lower-income people in Cambridge and Somerville, working through local shelter and service providers. We’re also making a major impact in textile recycling and reuse, diverting more than 1,400,000 pounds of textiles from area landfills over 13 years.
Second Chances is poised for significant growth, and we’re beginning to put together the team that will lead that growth. In 2017 we moved into our first office – in shared space in Somerville’s Union Square with several other nonprofits. And in 2017 and early 2018, we increased the number of locations where we receive clothing donations and expanded our partnerships with local shelter and service providers. The Program Coordinator, currently a part-time position, has the potential for growth in both hours and responsibility.
The Program Coordinator will handle a variety of responsibilities related to Second Chances’ clothing donation program, including:
• Interface with local shelter and service providers to deliver high-quality, free used and new clothing to homeless and low-income clients;
• Process all clothing donation requests, select clothing for clients, and deliver clothing to shelters and service providers;
• Train new providers and new staff at existing providers in how to request clothing;
• Contribute to Second Chances growth and continuous improvement by developing new clothing and gift card request mechanism(s), provider training materials, and documentation of our processes;
• Deepen and broaden our relationships with local shelter and service providers so that we can effectively serve more people in need;
• Facilitate clothing drives with local businesses and organizations, including planning and logistics, marketing, relationship-building; and,
• Evaluate our progress regularly; recommend and implement improvements in processes.
In addition, to the degree that time allows, the Program Coordinator may:
• Represent Second Chances at community events and meetings;
• Assist with fundraising and community-building events;
• Support marketing, communications, and social media work;
• And more.
Key personal characteristics: works well independently, is trustworthy, self-directed, and dependable.
Professional skills: excellent customer service skills, attention to detail, and written and oral communication skills. Relationship-builder, creative problem-solver, organized.
Competence with Microsoft Office, Google Business Apps, and a Windows 10 operating system. Experience with HTML and Adobe Creative Suite or similar web and graphic design software a plus. Experience with homeless and low-income clients and constituents a plus. Experience working in a small organization appreciated.
Must have own transportation (car or bike) that is available for work use (mileage and parking allowance available), must be able to climb at least three flights of stairs and carry at least 35 pounds. Hourly rate is commensurate with experience. This is a part-time, non-exempt position reporting to the CEO. A satisfactory background check will be a condition of employment.
Competitive part-time (hourly) salary and pro rated holidays, sick time, and vacation time.
Second Chances is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates. People of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter highlighting the unique value(s) that you would bring to this position to email@example.com or Second Chances, P.O. Box 441328, Somerville, MA 02144-1328 by November 26, 2018.
No phone calls, please.