At L'Arche Chicago, people with and without intellectual disabilities are transformed by working together to create home, share life, and build community. We give and receive compassionate care and friendship as a community that fosters a deeper experience of being human. We welcome people of all backgrounds and spiritual journeys to find connection and belonging.
L’Arche Chicago Live-In Assistants work with the other Assistants and the Community Leadership Team to create and support community life in our homes. A Live-In Assistant must be interested to share life in our homes and build intentional community. This position requires a mature individual able to maintain confidentiality while dealing with a variety of personalities and the tensions and conflicts that result. L’Arche Assistants must learn to develop competence in a wide range of areas including interpersonal relations, household planning, and personal time management. This position requires a commitment to live out the mission of L’Arche Chicago and a call to live with people with intellectual disabilities.
- Work cooperatively with the other L’Arche Assistants to create community and support the growth and wellbeing of each member of the home
- Assist core members (adults with intellectual disabilities) with basic hygiene and health needs, which include toileting, showering, medication, and laundry assistance
- Assist core members with daily recreational and financial activities and support them in personal growth
- Share household responsibilities including cooking, maintenance of house and yard, upkeep of community vehicles, transportation for core members, record keeping
- Help plan celebrations, leisure activities, trips, prayer, community nights, retreats, one-on-one outings with core members
- Welcome guests and visitors into the home
- Support, participate in, and help facilitate community nights
- Represent our community by participating in larger L'Arche networks such as our fundraisers and local events
- Attend regularly scheduled team and house meetings
- Develop supportive relationships with friends and families of core members, and professional human service workers (case workers, health care providers, etc.)
L’Arche Assistants are accountable to the Director of Community Life.
- At least 21 years old
- Ability to communicate clearly and work cooperatively
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds
- Current driver’s license
- Criminal record check
- Illinois required Direct Support Professional training (completed as part of orientation process)
- Current Basic First Aid and Adult CPR certification (completed as part of the application process)
- Live and work in the home, with two consecutive personal days each week
- 40 hours of daily support per week including shared meals when scheduled
- Live-In Assistants provide on call support to the home for 2-3 sleeping overnights per week on average
- Proof of COVID19 vaccination required
- Benefits package including medical, vision, and dental insurance
- Generous PTO (20 days accrued for the first year, 25 days accrued for every year after)
- 401k - 5% matched employee contribution
- Hourly rate starting at $16 an hour
For more information, please visit at www.larchechicago.org.
Job Type: Full-time, part time available