Arlington Free Clinic is a community-based, volunteer-driven nonprofit committed to providing high-quality healthcare for low-income, uninsured Arlington adults. With the generosity of donors, the dedicated service of 400+ volunteers, and strong community partnerships, AFC provides comprehensive, coordinated care for our community’s most vulnerable residents. Access to care makes a critical difference in the lives of individuals and their families, providing peace of mind, economic security, and the comfort that comes from knowing your medical needs will be met.
We are seeking a part time (0.6FTE) Director of Human Resources to support the mission and ongoing work of Arlington Free Clinic. The Director of Human Resources is a key member of AFC’s executive team and directs all human resources activities of the organization. This is a great opportunity for a proven leader with a strong human resources background to contribute to an important organization with a critical mission.
All staff at Arlington Free Clinic are expected to operate from a patient-centered, equity-based approach. We believe that people, including underserved populations, should have access to healthcare services. Continuous application of Arlington Free Clinic’s values is essential to every position at the Clinic.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Human Resources Leadership and Management
- Manage Arlington Free Clinic’s recruitment, hiring, and retention to ensure efficiency of process and quality of employees.
- Develop, lead, and evaluate new employee orientation, training, and on-boarding processes.
- Oversee and work with supervisors on compensation, performance appraisal, employee recognition, performance improvement planning, disciplinary matters, disputes and investigations, and employee termination.
- Review, track, and document compliance with mandatory and non-mandatory training and continuing education. This may include safety training, anti-harassment training, professional licensure, and certifications.
- Ensure Arlington Free Clinic is in compliance with local, state, and federal labor laws (i.e., OSHA, EEOC, DOL, ADA, FMLA)
- Develop and maintain job descriptions.
- Provide budget input in areas of responsibility and liaison with finance director on payroll and personnel reports and tracking.
- Promote positive employee relations and work environment. Actively implement strategies to foster a sense of community and teamwork across the organization.
- Manage bi-weekly payroll and 401K upload with payroll and benefits vendor.
- In partnership with finance director, lead employee benefits education, communication, and enrollment efforts. Manage the yearly analysis, negotiation, and selection of Arlington Free Clinic’s benefit programs.
- Manage Arlington Free Clinic’s personnel policies including creation, revision, monitoring, and quality assurance measures. Structure and maintain an organized and accessible system for storage and retrieval.
- Maintain accurate employee records and systems and processes to protect confidentiality of employee information.
- Oversee scope of work to meet organization’s goals related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Lead on all employee related legal and logistical considerations to COVID-19.
- Plan and coordinate Arlington Free Clinic retreats and certain staff meetings.
- Uphold Arlington Free Clinic’s values in carrying out all duties as a representative of the organization.
- Represent Arlington Free Clinic at various community events, board committees, board meetings/events, and attend leadership and staff meetings as necessary and/or as assigned by the president.
- Provide direction and guidance to all Arlington Free Clinic staff in accordance with policies and procedures and in support of president.
- Provide leadership for Arlington Free Clinic as designated to do so by president in her/his absence, within extent of authority granted by president/board designee.
- Perform other duties as assigned by President.
- Actively participate as a member of executive leadership team and participate in leadership functions such as strategic planning, advocacy, and staff development.
- Demonstrate alignment with Arlington Free Clinic’s core values and mission.
- In partnership with Arlington Free Clinic staff, assist with Arlington Free Clinic community events.
- Attend meetings, as required.
- Compile and report relevant data and statistics as necessary.
- Maintain current industry knowledge and best practices.
- Adhere to Arlington Free Clinic policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least three years of human resource management experience preferred.
- Strong comprehension and execution of SHRM Core Competencies.
- Thorough knowledge of employment laws and regulations.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite.
- Knowledge of Paychex portal helpful.
Employment and Compensation
- Reports to President
- Part time 0.6 FTE
- Medical/dental insurance; flexible spending account, retirement benefits
- Combination of onsite and remote work
- Salary is commensurate with experience
Arlington Free Clinic provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender or gender identity, sex, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Qualified applicants should email Nancy White at email@example.com. Please include a personalized cover letter and resume. NOTE: include "Human Resources Director" in the subject line.