1616 P St, NW
Earth Day Network (EDN) staff are responsible for articulating and contributing to an inspired vision for the organization; taking projects experience; listening and working as a team to bring ideas from concept to lift-off to completion; learning and adapting from new ideas; building relationships to bridge differences and find common ground with people inside and outside of the organization; and communicating effectively, orally, and in writing.
EDN seeks a full-time Communication Director to serve as an integral member of the management team. EDN manages Earth Day initiatives worldwide as well as works year-round on environmental policy and other campaigns and programs. EDN is preparing for Earth Day’s 50th Anniversary in 2020. The Communication Director will be responsible for the development and execution of EDN’s communication strategy for our year-round programs, Earth Day 2019, and for our 50th anniversary, which will be held in 192 countries. The Director is responsible for media advocacy, media partnerships, digital advocacy, thought leadership, organizational/issue visibility, and communication strategies.
The Communication Director will set communication goals and priorities for the organization and evaluate outcomes and results to inform future work. The Director will also be responsible for more than executing campaigns. The Communication Director will serve as the point-person for developing and implementing communication initiatives and activities that promote awareness of and participation in Earth Day events as well as awareness of and partnership with Earth Day Network. These initiatives and activities include campaigns (e.g., print, web, social media, broadcast, etc.), events, corporate responsibility programs, and sponsorships.
- Develop and execute integrated strategic communication plans to advance EDN’s mission, broaden awareness of EDN’s work, and increase the visibility of the organization worldwide.
- Work with press around the world to ensure that EDN’s brand, message, and substantive goals are communicated.
- Produce EDN’s campaign and program materials ensuring brand consistency and messaging.
- Identify appropriate channels for stories and pitches and maintain meaningful relationships with journalists, producers, bookers, bloggers, and social media outlets.
- Set departmental communication goals and objectives, and track and assess performance of department and staff.
- Build and maintain a global media contact database.
- Oversee and ensure brand consistency across publications, the website, and social media.
- Coordinate and create communication thought leadership content.
- Work with our digital team to develop and implement a robust social media and email plan for EDN worldwide.
- Work with the team to coordinate internal and external communication opportunities and solutions and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Oversee EDN’s website and work with digital team to keep content updated, accurate, and timely.
- Create and oversee communication materials as assigned.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- A belief in the mission of Earth Day Network.
- At least 5-7 years professional experience in a communication management role, including press relationships, and social media.
- Experience working with environmental organizations/issues.
- Outstanding organization, time management skills, and a strong attention to detail and grace under pressure.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, including an ability to anticipate problems and use judgment appropriately to plan solutions.
- Excellent oral, written, and computer skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and facility working with a diverse group of people.
- Integrity and a sense of humor.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates, please forward a cover letter, including salary requirements, and a resume to: email@example.com with “Communication Director – ‘your full name’ ” in the subject line.
About Earth Day Network
Earth Day Network (EDN) is a driving force steering environmental awareness around the world. Our mission is to grow and diversify the environmental movement worldwide, and to mobilize it as the most effective vehicle for promoting a healthy, sustainable planet. We pursue our mission through education, politics, events, and consumer activism.
EDN reaches over 1 billion people through our partnerships with over 50,000 organizations and hundreds of thousands of teachers/educators and students in 192 countries with our engaging resources, campaigns, and programs year-round.
EDN offers competitive salary compensation with commensurate with experience and a complete benefits package including: paid vacation, sick leave, and IRA
Earth Day Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Minimum Education Required