700 Bryden Road
Service Employees International Union, Local 1
SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building the power of low-wage workers in service industries and fighting for economic, racial, immigrant and environmental justice. We are hiring an Internal Organizer in Columbus, OH, to work on exciting campaigns, develop member leaders and move members to action.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
● Conducting broad and intensive outreach efforts to low-wage workers.
● Building one-on-one relationships with members and other workers.
● Identifying and developing leaders to guide and lead internal and external campaigns.
● Conducting individual/group meetings with workers to discuss and plan campaigns.
● Motivating individual workers and groups of workers to take action and sustain member engagement.
● Engaging workers in broader union efforts to bring pressure to bear on industry sectors.
● Coordinating with workers to gather information that is useful in identifying opportunities for membership growth and mobilization.
● Working to involve community allies in organizing campaigns.
● Process member grievances.
● Participate in contract negotiations.
● Conduct labor management meetings with members and employers.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
● Capacity to work independently and with a team.
● The ability to make and follow through on a work plan.
● Sharp communications skills, basic writing and computer skills.
● The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
● Willingness to conduct house visits and site visits.
● Previous experience in union or community organizing is desirable.
● A demonstrated commitment to social justice is required.
● A car and a valid driver’s license are required.
● Fluency in Spanish helpful but not a requirement.
SALARY & BENEFITS
● Salary is competitive and negotiable (based on the Staff Union Contract).
● Full benefits package including health insurance, a pension plan and paid vacation.
● Car allowance.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume here: http://seiu1.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a2kqigc1raxy