108-25 62nd Drive
Borough of Queens
STATUS: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
SCHEDULE: Monday through Friday 10:30 am-4:30 pm; with additional prep, meeting.
Queens Community House (QCH) is a multi-site, multi-service settlement house that serves the diverse population of Queens through a broad network of programs and services for Children and Youth, Adults and Families, and Older Adults. We are a modern interpretation of the traditional settlement house, bringing to our work current best practices, cost-effective management, innovative leadership, and a passion for social and economic justice. Our mission is to provide individuals and families with the tools to enrich their lives and build healthy, inclusive communities.
We welcome amazing individuals who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change lives. Our Children and Youth division for ages 5 to 21 allow participants to explore interests and passions, develop positive social connections, contribute to their community, become life-long learners, and gain meaningful experiences. We are seeking a qualified Group Leader with a strong commitment to youth development for our summer camp program at JHS 157. The Group Leader will serve as a model for middle school youth by providing an engaging and fun experience, while conducting activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, practice and implementation.
- Responsible for the guidance, supervision, and safety of middle school youth with adherence to determined schedule.
- Develop and implement age-appropriate curriculum; submit sequenced lesson plans for STEM, literacy and leadership activities in advance.
- Mentor a small team and develop participants’ athletic skills in soccer or basketball; referee games when needed.
- Engage with youth and use appropriate strategies to preemptively defuse inappropriate behavior and encourage positive interactions demonstrating effective program and classroom management.
- Ensure proper care of all area materials, organize room and report any misused or damaged materials to Directors in order to ensure safety and effective operations.
- Responsible for tracking, completion and timely submission of all program reports relative to this position, including but not limited to participant attendance, performance, supply requests, and lesson plans.
- Demonstrate appropriate communication with students, staff, and other stakeholders.
- Communicate with families regarding attendance, behavior, and participation of participants.
- Communicate with Program Director about any issues including schedule modifications or important behavioral or environmental difficulties.
- Support organization of special events and field trips.
- Participate in training, agency events and staff development activities.
- Ensure physical and emotional safety of all participants.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Minimum of 18 years old.
- Minimum of High School Diploma or GED. Enrollment in in an institution of high education preferred; college studies in psychology, education, social work, or related field a plus.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with middle school youth in a similar setting.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and facilitate leadership and sports enrichment activities with an understanding of youth development principles.
- Knowledge of basketball or soccer required; previous experience playing or coaching a plus.
- Must have a commitment to work from a strength-based and/or youth development perspective.
- Knowledge of youth development principles such as: Social Emotional Learning (SEL) a plus.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking and communication skills.
- Must be cleared by regulating agencies as a condition of employment including NYS DOH Fingerprinting Screening; DOE fingerprinting; NYS Clearance Review Background Check; NYS Department of Justice clearance; and receive medical clearance from physician.
Additional Details: For FT Positions
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn generous annual leave and sick days, and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter, resume and contact information of 3 professional references (name, email and phone number), with subject line “Group Leader” to Robert Borja at Rborja@qchnyc.org. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER v DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Minimum Education Required