Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) is seeking a Staff Attorney to join our team working to protect New England’s environment for all people. The Staff Attorney will work with CLF’s Clean Air and Water and Strategic Litigation teams, in either the Boston, MA or Providence, RI office with some opportunity for remote work within New England.
The Staff Attorney will work on litigation across each program’s priorities, as well as promote solutions to the region’s biggest environmental challenges using policy tools and legislative advocacy. Potential litigation will involve climate-change liability, addressing the negative consequences of plastics in the environment, reducing nutrient pollution that fuels toxic algae outbreaks, and holding responsible parties to account for release of emerging contaminants into the environment.
Under the Clean Air and Water Program, the work will focus on Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act enforcement cases, with the possibility of bringing lawsuits in federal court under state and federal law to protect communities, especially historically disadvantaged ones, from chemical contamination.
Under the Strategic Litigation Program, the Staff Attorney will work on major cases that prompt region-wide, nationwide, or international action, and break new ground in the use of legal requirements and enforcement to bring about transformative change in outcomes for public health, natural resource, or environmental governance.
What you’ll do
· Devise and execute legal strategies for achieving CLF’s advocacy goals;
· Represent parties in litigation and administrative proceedings;
· Negotiate civil penalties, injunctive relief, and fee and cost recovery;
· Advise community and advocacy groups on legal and policy matters;
· Build alliances and coalitions among parties that may include community groups, public officials, business interests, and other organizations;
· Draft public comment letters on projects, policies, and plans;
· Assist CLF’s communications team in delivering advocacy news and key messages to the press, our members, and the public;
· Assist development team with fundraising efforts; and
· Prepare research reports, memos, and presentations.
What you’ll need
We are looking for a motivated and mature self-starter that is able to work both independently and as a productive team member. To be successful in this role, you’ll need:
· At least 3-5 years of relevant experience practicing law
· A passion and commitment to the environment, public health, and/or social justice;
· Litigation experience;
· Excellent analytical skills and the ability to put your analysis into writing that is easily understood;
· Excellent oral and written communication skills;
· Strong organizational and interpersonal skills;
· Ability to take initiative, solve problems, assess priorities, and manage a variety of activities in a fast-paced environment;
· Commitment to developing new skills and responsibilities;
· Commitment to working collaboratively with a diverse group of colleagues and partners;
Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) protects New England’s environment for the benefit of all people. A non-profit, member-supported organization, CLF uses the law, science, and the market to solve the region’s most challenging environmental problems, from climate change to ocean conservation to transportation. Every day, CLF advocates stand up for New Englanders—in statehouses, courthouses, boardrooms, regulatory hearings, and community gatherings—to forge innovative paths to environmental progress and economic prosperity for all in our region. To that end, CLF frequently works with communities of color, and those that are economically or otherwise disadvantaged, which often suffer disproportionately from the impacts of environmental degradation. CLF is committed to representing New England’s diversity in our staff, volunteers, boards, and membership and creating a positive, inclusive workplace culture where all can thrive. People of color are encouraged to apply.
Conservation Law Foundation (CLF) is seeking a Staff Attorney to join our team working to protect New England’s environment for all people. The Staff Attorney will work with CLF’s Clean Air and Water and Strategic Litigation teams, in either…
CLF offers a competitive salary, an extensive benefits plan, and an open, inclusive, and accepting work environment where differences are highly respected. The base salary for the position is $60,000 if based in a CLF office outside of MA and $69,000 if based in Boston which includes a cost-of-living adjustment; actual salary will reflect experience, qualification, and where the selected candidate is based.
CLF offers a competitive salary, an extensive benefits plan, and an open, inclusive, and accepting work environment where differences are highly respected. The base salary for the…
If this exciting opportunity appeals to you, please send your resume titled “your last name-first initial-resume” (e.g. “SMITH J RESUME”) and a thoughtful cover letter titled “your last name-first initial-cover” (e.g. “SMITH J COVER”) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make “CLF Staff Attorney (CAW/SL)” the subject of your e-mail. No phone calls please.
CLF considers the health and safety of its staff members and their families, our guests, our visitors, and the community at large to be a top priority. All offers to work, intern, or volunteer with CLF are conditioned on the candidate complying with CLF’s mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy.
If this exciting opportunity appeals to you, please send your resume titled “your last name-first initial-resume” (e.g. “SMITH J RESUME”) and a thoughtful cover letter titled…