Location: Kanab, Utah
Position Summary: Work closely with Medical Operations Manager and Team Lead Clinic Support to provide and manage all aspects of pharmacy services for Best Friends Animal Sanctuary medical department and employee pets. Responsibilities encompass all aspects of inventory control and management including entry of all current medications into a formal inventory system, active management of in-house drug inventory including controlled substances, ordering pharmaceuticals and medical supplies, creating and maintaining relationships with distributors and external pharmacies, researching new and compounded medications and securing best pricing, filling of all medication prescriptions for clinic, satellite and employee owned patients, providing financial itemization for prescriptions provided and working with Support Services Team Lead to ensure proper costing of medications in inventory. The Pharmacy Supervisor must be able to work independently as well as oversee filling of pharmacy Rxs by clinic/satellite technicians.
- Communicate professionally and with a high level of customer service to Clients, Veterinary staff, Management and other Sanctuary departments regarding all job responsibilities, especially related to prescriptions and inventory.
- Maintain the ability to follow policies and procedures set by the Medical Director and Medical Operations Manager.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding patient status/treatment/medications, client information and other sensitive clinic operations.
- Act as liaison between Veterinarians, Clinic Management, Clinic and satellite technicians, and owners/Caregivers regarding the patient's medications and availability of special medications or supplies.
- Have advanced veterinary mathematical and pharmaceutical knowledge in order to properly fill and check medication doses.
- Write and deliver customized continuing education and/or pharmacy training classes for co-workers supporting job related responsibilities.
- Have an advanced working knowledge of veterinary pharmaceuticals, medical conditions, terminology, transcription and data entry.
- Maintain appropriate standard of care protocols: Current and correct drug logs for DEA controlled substances, organized and current medication orders placed and documentation of any errors or inconsistencies.
- Willingness to assist in clinic or surgical area if required for patient care in urgent or unplanned situations and emergencies.
- Communicate on behalf of Doctor regarding time sensitive decisions in emergent situations as needed or requested
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Prior experience working in a Veterinary clinic, Veterinary Pharmacy or prior experience as a Veterinary Technician, or relevant education and or certifications.
- Work requires continual attention to detail. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates approachability when dealing with the general public. Experience in interacting with the general public (customer service) preferred.
- Demonstrates ability to create and encourage a positive work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to teach and mentor others.
- Strong interpersonal skills, i.e., ability to develop positive relationships with others and demonstrate sensitivity to the thoughts, feelings and perspectives of others.
- Accurate, appropriate, clear and concise written and verbal communication skills. Strong listening skills.
- Experience with or ability to learn Avimark (or similar software) Microsoft Word and Excel, google calendar, docs and email and ADP.
- Able and willing to professionally advocate Best Friends and the Best Friends Medical team position on issues.
- Willing to work on weekends/holidays/varying shift times.
- Must want to work to further self-learning by asking questions and doing personal research.
- Must have a valid driver's license and qualify for Best Friends insurance.
- Must be able to visually inspect and count medications for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift and handle packages and/or animals of varying sizes
- Must be able to perform strenuous manual labor. Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, hike, walk, kneel, and lift.
- Ability to lift and handle animals of varying sizes and species, bending, stooping, and walking on a daily basis.
Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical conditions.
Join Best Friends and turn your career into a labor of love. The benefits package is one of the best! Medical, Dental, Vision, Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, Child Care reimbursement, Pet Sitting reimbursement, Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, Staff Discounts, Best Friends Wellness Center, and Flex Work Policy. Further, we also have some very unique perks, such as discounted veterinary care and the opportunity to bring pets to work. Our onsite cafeteria serves healthy vegetarian food.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.