Details: Commensurate with experience
166A 22nd Street
Working under the supervision of the Executive Director and Associate Director, the Policy and Communications Organizer will conduct research and advocacy activities related to the organization's agenda. In particular, responsibilities include the following areas of work:
- Lead organizer working closely with the Executive and Associate Directors on NYC-EJA's ongoing campaign work in solid waste equity and climate justice policies (including the Transform Don't Trash coalition and the NYC Climate Justice Agenda);
- Designing and implementing strategies for advocacy and communications that include NYC-EJA’s monthly newsletter, periodic e-blasts, maintaining NYC-EJA's outreach database, drafting position statements, press releases, cataloging media, and coordinating content for NYC-EJA's website;
- Executing social media strategy, including coordinating content for Twitter and Facebook, to share events, reports, news stories, and policy statements supporting NYC-EJA’s campaigns;
- Helping coordinate NYC-EJA member organizations in our campaigns to facilitate their campaign and member meeting engagement, including preparing materials for NYC-EJA events.
- Coordinating the work of NYC-EJA’s Fellowship Program, including recruiting and administrative work with university staff, and coordinating work with NYC-EJA member staff supervising the Fellows.
- Working with the Executive and Associate Directors in preparing fundraising applications, progress reports, and other documents required for NYC-EJA's development activities; and
- Supporting other organizational and administrative priorities as may be required.
- Masters degree in planning, environmental policy/sustainability, urban affairs or political science, plus two years experience required; or
- Bachelors degree +5 years policy analysis/advocacy or related experience required
- Knowledge of environmental justice/climate justice required
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills required (bilingual a plus)
- Excellent social media skills required
- GIS mapping skills a plus
- Must be a team player, yet able to work independently
- Sense of humor a plus (some days, more than others)
People of color strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Level of Language Proficiency
English proficiency (bilingual Spanish a plus)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
TO APPLY: Email a cover letter, resume/CV, and three (3) references to the Search Committee at careers@NYC-EJA.org. Please be sure to include “Policy and Communications Organizer” in the subject line. Application deadline is November 16, 2018. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements will not receive a response.