Details: Range starts at $4,833 per month
Climate Solutions is seeking a smart, nimble, and collaborative communicator December 2018-June 2019 as our Washington Communications Manager. The Washington Communications Manager will use media outreach, social media engagement and direct communications to amplify messages, track results, and build partnerships to maximize the communications strength of the organization and the larger movement.
As a Northwest-based nonprofit, Climate Solutions' mission is to accelerate clean energy solutions to the climate crisis. Since 1998, Climate Solutions has pioneered the vision of a thriving, equitable Northwest, powered by clean energy, inspiring the transition to sustainable prosperity across the country and beyond.
Climate Solutions advances local, regional, and national action on climate and clean energy by championing transformational policies and market-based innovations; catalyzing powerful partnerships and a diverse movement for action and accountability; and communicating a bold vision for solutions at the scale required by climate science. For more information about Climate Solutions, visit www.climatesolutions.org.
The position is a full-time, temporary position located in the Seattle and supervised by the Director of Communications and Engagement.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with the communications team, Washington Director and policy staff to develop and implement strategic communications for the organization’s 2019 legislative campaigns and ongoing programs to increase reach and engagement with priority audiences in Washington.
- Conduct statewide and local media outreach, including pitch calls, executing on rapid responses, longer‐term proactive story cultivation also with regional and national outlets, and news conferences and other media events.
- Work with the communications team to further the organization’s social media presence, deepening and broadening the engagement.
- Coordinate with other organizations working to advance equitable climate solutions to develop coordinated communications strategy.
- Draft and facilitate publication and promotion of opinion pieces with organizational channels, media outlets and third-part channels.
- Assist in drafting, reviewing and sending email communications to key WA audiences on priority legislative issues.
- Work in tandem with other organizations’ communications teams to advance the goals of high priority coalition campaigns.
- Work with both staff and coalition partners to identify and maximize opportunities to showcase powerful stories of the clean energy economy that build the broader narrative that solutions are happening now.
- Edit, post, and manage website content for Washington campaigns.
- Build and maintain a high level of expertise and credibility in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Incorporate Climate Solutions’ Equity, Diversity and Inclusion commitments and Climate Solutions’ values (available here) into all aspects the job.
- Meet staff reporting deadlines for program, development, and administrative tasks.
- Additional duties may be assigned within the course of the work.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Knowledge and experience in using social media engagement (in particular Facebook and Twitter but also Instagram) to increase engagement on public interest issues and grow reach to targeted audiences;
- Experience conducting outreach to reporters and editors, including regular pitch calls, relationship cultivation, ability to craft timely pitches, and approach reporters on story ideas.
- Experience writing and editing news releases, opinion pieces, pitch memos, and email action alerts.
- Experience editing, posting, and managing website content.
- Understanding of diverse storytellers and audiences, including workers, Communities of Color, Tribes, elected officials, and businesses.
- Desire and flexibility to work in a campaign environment both with a team and independently.
- Strong ability to make fast-paced decisions and to be nimble and conduct rapid response media efforts.
- Ability to set priorities and manage multiple short‐term and long‐term projects simultaneously.
- A driven, collaborative, equitable, and inspirational nature.
- Strong commitment to the mission and vision of Climate Solutions.
- Strong writing, editing, presentation, verbal, and analytic skills.
- Ability to operate desktop computer and Microsoft Windows and Office software, including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and specialized software applications in a network environment.
Minimum of three years of experience working in the communications field, ideally the nonprofit or public policy sectors.
This is a full time temporary position through June 2019 with the salary range starting at $4,833 per month with the potential for a higher salary based on previous experience.
Climate Solutions is committed to equal opportunity in employment and promotion for all qualified persons without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, military or veteran status, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability, pregnancy and childbirth, family responsibilities, or any other basis protected by applicable laws, regulations,
or guidelines relating to discrimination in employment.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- Email a résumé, cover letter and at least three professional reference contacts in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please put your name and WA COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER as the subject line of the email and address the cover letter to Kimberly Larson, Director of Communications and Engagement.
- Please label the cover letter and resume with your last name.
- In the body of the email, please let us know how you found out about the position.
- The position is open until filled with preference to applications submitted by Tuesday, November 20th.