Details: Salary based on experience.
148 West 37 Street
Working as a key member of a small, fast-paced, effective development and finance team, the Grant Writer will be responsible for writing public and private grant proposals and reports, including NYC Council, foundation, and corporate grants, and will participate in the development and implementation of strong systems, tools, and processes to enable the organization to manage grants effectively. This individual will play a critical role in researching and writing new grants to secure funds for The Hort’s new education center in Harlem as well as building grant support for other key program areas.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create compelling materials to secure and steward public and private funds, including grant proposals and reports, City Council applications, corporate support presentations, and program overviews and updates
- Build the systems and processes needed to collect and compile information (data, stories, financials) to steward public and private funds
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with funding program officers and contacts (city and state), in liaison with the Executive Director, Program Directors and development/finance team.
- Manage existing portfolio of public/private awards
- Collaborate with development/finance team and Program Directors to ensure full compliance with grants
- Conduct targeted research to identify and pursue new funding opportunities
- Continue to identify new ways to evolve current systems to ensure that donor and grant management is efficient and can scale to meeting the needs of a growing organization
- Work closely with the development/finance team to ensure philanthropic goals and activities align with the organization’s budget
- Perform other duties as required and assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 3-4 years’ work experience, including experience with public/private fundraising
- Excellent written communication skills
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Solid interpersonal communication skills
- Impeccable organization and attention to detail skills
- Fluency in grant budgeting and reporting
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge Data Management system
- Ability to work efficiently, intensely, and within an entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to work calmly and efficiently with public contract officers
- Ability to maintain and upload relevant documentation for public/private grants
- A demonstrated passion for nature, urban greening, environmental issues, horticultural therapy, nutrition education, gardens, plants, etc.
The Hort is an equal opportunity employer.
Generous vacation policy. Benefits package included.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter with salary requirement and resume to Lauren Keane-Farrell at firstname.lastname@example.org