199 Sudbury Road
Since our founding in 2010, iBme has been growing steadily from a $100k regional organization to a $1.5m international nonprofit and is seeking to hire an experienced nonprofit leader in an operations and finance capacity to support our continued growth and allow our co-founder and Executive Director to prioritize programs and development.
Toward that end, iBme is seeking to hire an experienced and committed individual to join our team as the Director of Operations and Strategy. The Director of Operations and Strategy will have responsibility for the internal services that support high quality programs and sustainable growth, including business strategy and revenue, financials, legal compliance, technology systems, human resources, and collaborative leadership. Experience with marketing and fundraising are big pluses. The Director of Operations and Strategy will be responsible for establishing efficient and effective systems to increase the productivity of the organization to position us to deliver measurable, cost-effective results that make iBme’s vision a reality.
The right candidate will feel strongly aligned with iBme’s mission, vision, and values and be energized by and experienced in working in a collaborative environment that supports shared leadership and distributed decision making.
This is an outstanding opportunity for an individual who wants to improve the future through supporting youth and has both a personal commitment to mindfulness and experience in business strategy and operations to join a high impact, mission-driven organization.
- Partner with all iBme staff to formulate and implement policies to meet the organization’s short- and long-term goals, with primary responsibility for formulating technology, operations, human resource, and legal compliance plans and policies.
- Continuously identify ways to improve the operational effectiveness and efficiency of iBme.
- Propose new business models or business model improvements to decrease costs and increase revenue for the organization while keeping the organization’s mission and values at the center.
- Mentor and inspire staff to continue to build their skills toward shared leadership and distributed decision making.
- Help build a diverse, inclusive, and effective Board representative of the community that is highly engaged and willing to leverage and secure resources.
- Assume responsibility for overall organizational leadership in absence of Executive Director.
In partnership with the Board, staff, and Executive Director, lead the development of iBme’s strategic five-year plan and annual business plans and implement new processes and approaches to achieve them.
- Coordinate the annual operations plan and budget.
- Identify new sources of revenue and cost savings to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against goals for the organization.
- Identify geographic and programmatic growth opportunities and priorities.
- Support fundraising efforts.
iBme’s staff collaboratively develop the annual budget and share monthly financial reviews, with each member taking responsibility for their relevant area of expertise, eg. marketing, programming expenses, fundraising income. This budgeting process is facilitated by iBme’s full-charge bookkeeper. The Director of Operations and Strategy will support this collaborative process and work closely with the bookkeeper to ensure the overall financial health of the organization.
- Hold lead responsibility for the financial health of the organization including monitoring cash flow, budgets, long term financial plans and ensuring sound financial controls are in place; set financial priorities accurately to ensure the organization is operating in a manner that supports the needs of the programs and staff.
- Advise the Board on financial planning, investment priorities, and policy matters.
- Support the work of iBme’s bookkeeper.
Collaborative Leadership Initiative and Human Resources
- Lead the continued work towards iBme’s collaborative leadership initiative:
- Strengthen the values alignment of the team as a whole and individually.
- Ensure a robust, active, and healthy feedback system is being engaged by all organizational and retreat staff and the Board; plan trainings in feedback as needed.
- Coordinate the regular updating and healthy functioning of iBme’s shared decision making process.
- Work with the Executive Director and experts in the field of collaborative organizational development to move the initiative forward towards a shared vision.
- Support and inspire the performance and wellbeing of the organization's staff; continuously identify and implement improvements in human resources functions including: training, benefits, performance evaluation, and recruiting; coordinate and ensure the completion of iBme’s annual organizational and individual SMART goal setting and quarterly reviews.
- Mentor and support the Development and Operations Coordinator in her role managing the office and other operational responsibilities.
- Analyze the current technology infrastructure and scope out the next level of IT that supports the growth of the organization.
- Analyze iBme’s liability and legal considerations with the support of a pro-bono law firm.
- Continuously improve and update policies and procedures accordingly.
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in iBme’s core values and be driven by the mission. The successful candidate will have demonstrated leadership success in a collaborative organization and will exemplify iBme staff’s values and critical competencies. Specifically, we are looking for a new team member who embodies the following qualities:
- Leadership—proactive, innovative, self directed, an initiator; a team builder who has experience in sustainably growing a mission-centered organization; capacity to ensure accountability, mentor, and empower leaders from the bottom up, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to identify organizational gaps and help people find the roles where they can succeed.
- Strategic Vision and Agility—ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan.
- Commitment to Excellence in Organizational Development—with the ability to mentor and inspire staff, consistently improve systems, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- Proactive—entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation for which you have responsibility.
- Collaboration—ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Equity—personal commitment to and experience with incorporating diverse perspectives into programming and organizational structures; in particular, experienced in emphasizing the views and life experiences of marginalized groups.
- Intelligence and Analytical Skills—exhibits an inquisitive nature, probing mind and achieves penetrating insights; learns quickly; demonstrates ability to quickly and proficiently understand and absorb new information; able to structure and process qualitative and quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it.
- Organization and Prioritization—plans, organizes, schedules, and budgets in an efficient, productive manner; able to identify key priorities with feedback from stakeholders as needed and to maintain focus on these key priorities.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, enthusiasm, and positive attitude.
Additionally, the right candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Results—proven track record of exceeding goals; evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; track record of effectively leading and growing the impact of a mission centered organization; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of development.
- Hiring “A” Players—successful track record of recruiting, coaching, and retaining a diverse, excellent team.
- Operational Systems Experience—experience managing finance, IT systems, liability, and HR; broad experience with the full range of nonprofit business functions and systems.
- Business Acumen—including successful P&L management and the ability to balance the delivery of high quality, mission aligned programs against the realities of a budget; problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing Board member relationships.
- Experience with business, marketing, community outreach, and fundraising in partnership with a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Advanced degree (ideally an MBA) with at least 10 years of organizational leadership experience.
This position will be based in our Concord, MA office. We offer free parking and are adjacent to the commuter rail train station from Boston. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes a generous benefits package, including health and dental insurance, a retirement plan, and a substantial PTO policy.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply: Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
iBme is committed to fostering a diverse organization and strongly encourages minorities and individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply. iBme is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, age, sex, religion, national origin or ancestry, sexual orientation, citizenship, or disability.