Young Audiences/Arts for Learning, founded in Baltimore in 1950, is the country’s foremost arts-in-education non-profit organization. The Maryland chapter of Young Audiences (YA) provides more than 9,000 arts education opportunities to nearly 200,000 students, artists, and educators throughout the state each year. YA is a mission-driven organization that values community, innovation, and passion. The staff, board, and teaching artists have a shared commitment to advance equity in the field of education by generating opportunities for students to imagine, create, and realize their full potential through the arts.
We are looking for an inclusive, strategic, results-minded leader interested in joining a mission-driven organization working hard to operationalize its goal in advancing race equity. This candidate will lead a passionate and committed team, focusing on day-to-day operations by supporting a healthy culture, where organizational systems are in place to ensure effectiveness and impact. They will execute strategies that ensure initiatives and programs have the staffing and other resources needed to be executed well.
Effectiveness in this role will draw on experiences managing multiple teams, in complex or multi-site organizational structures in which they have needed to engage a wide range of stakeholders. Preference will be given to candidates that have strong skills in systems thinking drawn on knowledge of the impact of racism in our city and state. This is a role that will provide leadership, inspiration, and support, and that will ensure that YA is positioned to respond to new and evolving opportunities to serve children, schools, and communities.
The COO will serve as a critical member of the leadership team and will play a critical role as the organization shifts its approach to be more intentional around its commitment to advance equitable outcomes for the children and communities we partner with. The COO is a full-time, exempt position and will report to the Chief Executive Officer.
Operations and Management
● Oversee company operations and employee productivity, building a highly inclusive culture ensuring team members thrive and organizational outcomes are met
● Provide a strong day-to-day leadership presence by bridging the different departments of the organization, and being a resource to assess and address their needs and challenges
● Ensure effective recruiting, onboarding, professional development, performance management, and retention
● Manage, coach, and evaluate the Finance Director, Communications Director, Data & Systems Manager, and Operations & HR Manager
● Ensure that employee benefits and compensation are aligned with the organization’s goals
● Create communication and meeting structures that facilitates interdepartmental communication
● Establish and implement policies, procedures and initiatives that effectively communicate and support the organization’s vision, mission, and desired culture
● Support and preserve organization’s highest assets, its people, through talent acquisition, career development, succession planning, retention, training and leadership development, compensation, and benefits
● Ensure supervisors and direct reports have the tools they need to thrive in the organizational structure
● Standardize and continually improve upon the employee performance evaluation system
● Review all contracts and memoranda of understanding prior to the CEO signing; assist in the negotiation of terms
● Oversee the organization’s infrastructure requirements, including appropriate information technology and work environments
● Ensure organizational compliance with all applicable rules, policies, procedures, laws, and regulations. enforcing compliance and taking action when necessary
Work with the Finance Director and Finance Committee to ensure the Finance Department is adequately staffed and systems are in place to ensure all financial operations comply with federal and state laws and that YA is making the most of its resources to advance its mission.
Other duties include partnering with others to:
● Ensure annual budget development and approval process is effective and timely
● Ensure we are in compliance with reporting agreements to the board
● Ensure adequate cash is in place for operations
● Develop and track metrics, analyzing trends and forecasts for the organization to use to assess financial health and plan longer term.
● Monitor expenditures and prepare and submit budget re-projections on a quarterly basis
● Conduct monthly review of all expense reports, other expenditures, and the financial reconciliation ensuring expenses are appropriate and documentation is adequate
● Serve as a signatory for manual checks
● Identify opportunities to reduce operational expenditures
Operationalizing Program and Marketing Strategy
YA is innovative, creative, and constantly evolving its programs in response to community needs. This approach requires quick scale up of programs. COO will be embedded in implementation teams when they are formed in response to new or large programs to ensure adequate staffing, policies, and resources are in place across all departments needed to support the work.
While the CEO plays an integral role in institutional marketing (in partnership with the board, the communications director and PR Firm), and the Directors and Chiefs of other departments are responsible for leading their direct marketing efforts, the COO will work behind the scenes to ensure smooth day to day operations and that staffing is sufficient relative to goals and opportunities.
Other Duties as assigned
This individual plays a pivotal role within the organization, and the position requires a process and systems-oriented leader with strong communication, staff development and project management skills. While no one candidate will possess every quality outlined for this position, the successful candidate will fit many of the following professional qualifications and personal attributes:
● Bachelor’s Degree; MBA or Masters in Nonprofit or Arts Management preferred
● Seven years experience in education, arts, nonprofit/business setting or government
● Three years of experience managing federal or state grants
● Two years of experience overseeing budgets of at least $3M
● Exceptional manager, with an inclusive leadership style, and experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds
● Skilled in giving and receiving feedback, with an ability to drive continuous improvement
● Experience hiring and retaining program staff and leading through transitions and growth
● Commitment to race equity; preferred experience applying a racial justice and race equity lens to their work.
● Strong communication, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills, especially when working across differences, with demonstrated ability to form and maintain strong collaborative partnerships and to build consensus with colleagues, principals, and other strategic stakeholders
● Two years experience overseeing one or more of the following operational areas: human resources, policy development, marketing, and/or information technology
● Ability to thrive in a high autonomy/high accountability environment, and to adapt to changing circumstances, working flexibly in order to handle multiple priorities
● Outstanding organizational and leadership abilities
● Aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving
● Experience negotiating and reviewing contracts
● Excellent interpersonal and writing skills
● Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
For consideration, please apply on our website, https://www.yamd.org/join-us/internship-and-employment-opportunities/chief-operating-officer-2/ Please do not send applications that include headshots or photos of yourself. No phone calls or recruiters please
Young Audiences/Arts for Learning, founded in Baltimore in 1950, is the country’s foremost arts-in-education non-profit organization. The Maryland chapter of Young Audiences (YA) provides more than 9,000 arts…
For consideration, please apply on our website,https://www.yamd.org/join-us/internship-and-employment-opportunities/chief-operating-officer-2/ Please do not send applications that include headshots or photos of yourself. No phone calls or recruiters please.
For consideration, please apply on our website,https://www.yamd.org/join-us/internship-and-employment-opportunities/chief-operating-officer-2/ Please do not send…