Sanctuary for Families is New York's leading service provider and advocate for survivors of domestic violence, sex trafficking and related forms of gender violence. Every year, Sanctuary empowers thousands of adults and children to move from fear and abuse to safety and stability, transforming lives through a comprehensive range of services. We provide a range of wrap-around services to help survivors rebuild their lives in the aftermath of abuse, and work to end gender violence through three key strategies: direct services, outreach and training, and systems-change advocacy. Our services are available in 11 locations throughout New York City.
Sanctuary for Families seeks an attorney to provide legal representation to survivors of domestic and gender based violence in family law matters in the Bronx. The areas of focus are primarily family offense, custody/visitation, child/spousal support, and divorce. Other responsibilities include conducting community outreach and education in the Bronx, screening walk-in clients at the Bronx Family Justice Center, and collaborating with other agencies to advocate for systemic change. The attorney will work out of the Bronx Family Justice Center office, co-located in the Bronx District Attorney's Office. The attorney will report to the Deputy Director of the Family Law Project at the Bronx Family Justice Center and the Director of the Family Law Project at the Bronx and Manhattan Family Justice Centers.
· Provides direct representation and advocacy to clients in family law litigation, including family offense, custody and visitation, and child and spousal support.
· Maintains a caseload of approximately 20 - 30 active clients per month and approximately 40 – 60 active cases.
· Conducts outreach to underserved communities.
· Trains law students, pro bono attorneys, social service providers, health care professionals, and community based organizations on domestic violence and the legal needs of victims.
· Represents Sanctuary for Families on task forces and other political and advocacy committees outside the agency.
· Recruits, supervises, and/or provides co-counsel to pro bono attorneys on all aspects of litigation in family law matters.
· Supervises and mentors junior attorneys, multiple volunteers and interns on all aspects of client contact, litigation support, case management, and/or project development.
· Facilitates clients' access to intra-agency and outside resources, and administers provision of direct financial assistance and donations to clients.
· Attends and participates in interagency conferences and legal/ bar association committee meetings to keep abreast of developments in the areas of pro bono, domestic violence, and legal remedies for victims of domestic violence.
· Performs any other department or agency-related duties or special projects as directed by supervisor.
• J.D. Degree
• Admission to the NY Bar
• 2-4 years of relevant experience preferred, but not required
• Bilingual Spanish speaker is preferred, but not required
• Strong lawyering, advocacy, and leadership skills
• Enjoys working collaboratively and be comfortable speaking in public
• Highly motivated to provide zealous, knowledgeable, culturally competent, and empathic legal advocacy to domestic violence victims
Budgeted Salary: $71,436 - $78,097 annually; salary commensurates with experience*
Work position is full time currently Hybrid; must be able to meet job location schedule obligations
Vaccination Policy: Proof of vaccination or proof of first dose with scheduled 2nd dose within 30 days is required.
All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristic, marital status or domestic violence victim status, and shall also follow the requirements of the Human Rights Law with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.
D.E.I Commitment: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are core values at Sanctuary for Families that represent our dedication to fostering a safe, respectful, responsive, and fair work environment. We recognize the value diversity holds in embracing all employees, clients, and volunteers regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or professional level.
Sanctuary for Families is New York's leading service provider and advocate for survivors of domestic violence, sex trafficking and related forms of gender violence. Every year, Sanctuary empowers thousands of adults and children…