Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective passionate Philanthropy Officer (Major Gifts Officer) to work within western region states and report to the Director of Principal and Major Gifts, based in San Francisco. This position is responsible for managing all cultivation, solicitation, acknowledgement, recognition and stewardship for a portfolio of both existing major donors and prospects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops and enacts cultivation and solicitation strategies for a portfolio of prospects and donors with affinity for PPFA and capacity to make $25,000-$250,000 investments in Planned Parenthood.
- Work closely with PPFA’s New York City-based development team to develop a robust principal and major gifts pipeline.
- Builds and manages network of relationships with prospective donors involving PPFA volunteer leaders and staff. Facilitates and coordinates all communication with these prospects and among the prospect’s PPFA relationships. Promotes positive relations with these prospects and donors.
- Assists with the strategy for and creation of written communications from various PPFA leaders appropriate to a donor’s interests.
- Participates (often in concert with others) in gift solicitations to fund PPFA programs and to enhance the development efforts of PPFA.
- Travels (possibly extensively) commensurate with expectations for fundraising activity contact and travel.
- Performs additional development-related activities/efforts at the request of manager.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- 3-5 years of major gifts or political fundraising and/or direct donor relationship experience.
- Bachelor’s degree, plus additional related academic courses or professional training preferred.
- Candidates must have proven ability to close gifts of $10,000+ and experience securing gifts from prospects.
- Comfort in online fundraising toolsets and databases including Salesforce and/or Blackbaud.
- Outstanding oral, written, communication and presentation skills – including the ability to listen and target communication to specific interests of varied audiences.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- A motivated, unflappable team player with exceptional communication skills along with interpersonal savvy.
- Gravitas paired with the professional integrity and ambition to effectively represent and promote Planned Parenthood externally at the highest levels and internally as a surrogate for senior leadership.
- Proven ability to build deep and lasting relationships with a variety of internal partners, with whom no direct line supervision exists, as well as external individuals, from funders and donors to board members. Impeccable discretion above all else.
- Strong organizational and project management skills –with the ability to manage multiple assignments and quickly changing priorities in a fast paced setting.
- The ideal candidate will be an exceptional fundraiser – you come ready to take on and elevate a well-defined portfolio with emerging potential and know how to hit the ground running with the right tools and coaching.
- Experience qualifying and disqualifying prospects using research and instincts.