As a member of AFSCME’s Executive Communications Unit, the incumbent will have as their primary responsibility speechwriting for the union’s Secretary-Treasurer. Under the direction of the Executive Communications Strategist, this position will also be responsible for writing, researching, and proofing communications drafted across the union’s platforms.
Collaborates directly with union officers and leaders, capturing their voice and building a relationship of trust and confidence. Drafts video scripts, social media language, emails, short-form articles, op-eds, columns and blog posts communicating the internal and external priorities of AFSCME and its affiliates – including organizing campaigns, political action and more. Brings creative communications ideas to the table and confidently pitches them to officers and management. Plans and executes all of the Secretary-Treasurer’s communications projects, including educational videos, panel discussions, conversations with AFSCME members, allies and other labor leaders, doing so in coordination with other members of the Communications team and staff in other departments.
- With direction from management and senior staff, drafts speeches, talking points, emails, social media and other digital content, proclamations, correspondence and other executive communications pieces as needed.
- Produces well-written, concise, and error-free copy that supports larger organizational initiatives.
- Remains faithful to a rigorous clearance process and timeline, one that ensures all internal stakeholders are satisfied with the final product.
- Develops and manages social media strategy for the Secretary-Treasurer, including editorial and calendar planning, social media copy, content creation and social media engagement. Collaborates with the Digital unit to identify new social media opportunities.
- Pitches, develops, coordinates and implements new communications products for the Secretary-Treasurer.
- Helps with research, building out presentations and other activities in support of the Office of the Secretary-Treasurer.
- Contributes to Communications Department’s ongoing initiatives – through creative thinking, teamwork and self-motivated execution – including expansion of our digital outreach to members and our organizational branding efforts.
- Performs other related duties to support Communications Department objectives as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with course work in labor relations, communications, political science or liberal arts with up to five years of relevant experience in labor, political or community organizing; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Outstanding writing, editing, research and proofreading skills. Demonstrated ability to consistently condense information and convey it clearly and concisely.
- Ability to work independently and to collaborate with staff at all levels and in a team environment.
- Extreme attention to detail with the ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Understanding of and comfort with social media.
- Strong, thorough project management skills.
- Sound messaging and political instincts.
- Commitment to the values of unionism and progressive social change.
- Previous exposure to and/or familiarity with labor issues and the labor movement.
- Ability to handle heavy workload, juggle competing priorities and occasionally work long hours.
- Flexibility, positive attitude and critical thinking skills.
- Experience and aptitude providing counsel to senior executives.
- Prior speechwriting experience is not required but strongly preferred.
Travel and Work Hours:
- Ability to travel for AFSCME business, including political and organizing campaigns required.
- A valid driver’s license required.
- Extended hours may be required.