Details: Salary is commensurate with other Bay Area legal nonprofit organizations.
POSITION: Legal Program Associate
REPORTS TO: Managing Attorney
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
ABOUT GIFFORDS LAW CENTER
For 25 years, the experts at Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence have been fighting for a safer America by researching, drafting, and defending the laws, policies, and programs proven to save lives from gun violence. Founded in the wake of a 1993 mass shooting in San Francisco, in 2016 we joined forces with former Congresswoman and gun violence survivor Gabrielle Giffords to form a courageous new force for gun safety that stretches coast to coast, with offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, and New York.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and motivated legal program associate to join our legal team. This is a wonderful opportunity to learn new things while doing meaningful work to address America’s current epidemic of gun violence as well as join a growing and high-profile national political movement.
Giffords Law Center is committed to assembling a diverse staff and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage people of all races, ethnicities, gender identities, and sexual orientations, as well as veterans and those with disabilities, to apply. Giffords Law Center believes that diversity and inclusion among our staff is critical to our mission to change policies, challenge injustice, and save lives.
Learn more about our work at giffordslawcenter.org.
Reporting to the managing attorney, the legal program associate’s primary responsibility is to support Giffords Law Center’s legal team in all aspects of local, state, and federal legislative advocacy, litigation, and educational outreach. Essential tasks include:
● Writing: Compose and edit fact sheets, website content, bill support letters, and other advocacy materials drawing from the legal team’s research and reports.
● Research: Support the legal team’s policy and data research needs, including review and analysis of policy reports, news articles, legal and academic articles, and other data sources. The legal program associate will also support attorneys’ legal research needs by reviewing and monitoring new and updated laws and regulations and identifying relevant judicial decisions, statutes, and other pertinent material with our attorneys.
● Editing: Work with attorneys and other members of the legal team to ensure that all written materials (website content, litigation briefs, educational reports, fact sheets, etc.) are accurate and that citations are properly formatted.
● Communication and Outreach: Support and grow relationships with allied groups, advocates, and members of the public who seek legal expertise by responding to calls, emails, and letters from individuals or groups seeking assistance. Conduct outreach to organizations or individuals in furtherance of our work.
● Organization: Work with the legal team to organize data and research by creating and managing databases of laws, legal decisions, academic studies, and other information and materials relevant to the organization
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
● Exceptional attention to detail
● Strong writing and editing skills
● One to three years professional experience
● At least a bachelor’s degree or equivalent; recent law school graduates are also encouraged to apply
● Commitment to the issue of gun violence prevention
● A flexible attitude and a growth mindset
Competitive benefits include five weeks paid time off, generous holidays, health and dental insurance, health and transit FSAs, a 401(k) program with employer match, and strong work/life balance.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a résumé, cover letter, and writing sample to Allison Anderman at firstname.lastname@example.org.