Location: Kanab, Utah
Position Summary: Work closely with Veterinarians, Veterinary Assistants Senior Technicians, Clinic Manager, and Clinic support staff to provide medical care to all patients seen by the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary Clinic. The Clinic Veterinary Technician Team Leader will be assigned an area and will be responsible for: immediate supervision of the Technicians, providing guidance regarding general care issues, problem resolution, coordination of workflow, control of work procedures, providing training and acting as a liaison with Clinic Manager. Operational duties encompass a wide array of tasks including but not limited to medical record management, client communication, all aspects of veterinary nursing care, and providing financial itemization for all services provided.
The assigned areas of the Clinic are divided per Team Leader as follows:
- Large Animal
- Communicate professionally and with a high level of customer service to Clients, Veterinary staff, Management and other Sanctuary departments regarding all job responsibilities, especially the health of all patients.
- Maintain the ability to follow policies and procedures set by the Medical Director and Clinic Manager.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding patient status/treatment, client information and other sensitive clinic operations.
- Act as liaison between Veterinarians (internal and external), Clinic Management, owners/Caregivers regarding the health, status, and welfare of all Clinic patients.
- Communicate on behalf of Doctor regarding time sensitive decisions in emergent situations.
- Perform the following leadership functions for team members:
- Monitor and document performance.
- Participate in Annual Performance Review sessions.
- Provide guidance and coaching to members of their own team on all aspects of their current role.
- Disciplinary action up to verbal counseling.
- Cultivate good team building practices through good communication, sharing information, and working to achieve goals. Lead by example.
- Oversee training for new staff on all aspects of animal care and provide feedback on performance.
- Mentor and provide ongoing coaching for each individual team member to reach their potential.
- Substitute for absent staff and perform tasks that insure the day's work is supported and completed.
- Provide medical care for animals that have significant behavioral issues, which can include but is not limited to shyness, fearfulness and aggression.
- Assure that patients are being monitored for changes in condition.
- Promote a quick but thorough pace of the clinical day.
- Oversee medical or surgery scheduling, including coordination of open spots to be filled due to no-shows or cancellations or emergencies in conjunction with prioritizing daily tasks and treatments.
- Large Animal: Responsible for scheduling(on-site and Farm Calls) all Sanctuary and Staff appointments
- Collaboratively assign monthly work and monthly on-call schedule for all clinic staff (excluding Doctors).
- Participate in creating, overseeing and updating procedures to carry out corporate policies regarding Clinic services, including forms and procedural manuals.
- Assists with the coordination of all Veterinary Technician intern, employee immersion days, tours and volunteers.
- Maintain records: conduct entry and retrieval of information for multiple database systems, medical records, drug log books, etc.
- Assists with the planning and executing of special events; such as high volume spay neuter clinic, vaccine clinics, high volume dental weekends etc.
- Determine, evaluate and coordinate the repair of all maintenance/IT issues within assigned area.
- Assist with inventory control.
- Large Animal: responsible for ordering all supplies and keeps all inventory/services/pricing up to date in Avimark.
- Write and deliver customized continuing education classes for co-workers supporting job related responsibilities.
- Oversees the implementation/follow through of data management projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Prior experience working in a Veterinary clinic or prior experience as a Veterinary Technician, or relevant education and or certifications.
- Medical/Surgical Lead skills must be equivalent to a Clinic Technician.
- Cats Team Lead skills must be equivalent to Hope House Veterinary Technician.
- Large Animal Team Lead skills must be equivalent to Large Animal Technician.
- A minimum of one year leadership work experience directly related to the personnel duties and responsibilities specified.
- Work requires continual attention to detail. Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Demonstrated ability to teach and mentor others.
- Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates approachability when dealing with the general public. Experience in interacting with the general public (customer service) preferred.
- Demonstrates ability to create and encourage a positive work environment.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- The ideal person for this job would be a team player, positive, personable, upbeat and energetic who effectively uses tact and diplomacy in daily transactions.
- Ability to make sound judgments and work independently in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Possess the desire to further one's knowledge of technician skills.
- Proven communication skills with experience interacting with general public.
- Professionally advocate Best Friends' position on issues.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment with all clinic staff.
- Computer literate; MS Office, Internet.
- Valid driver's license with access to transportation to travel on organization business.
- Must be able to routinely lift 40-50 pounds.
- Must be physically able to perform strenuous manual labor.
- Ability to work in all types of weather conditions including extreme heat and cold.
- Effectively handle all species of animals with a variety of temperaments.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
- Lifting and handling animals of varying sizes and species, bending, stooping and walking on a daily basis.
Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Best Friends offers a comprehensive benefit package. Medical, Dental, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Vision, Child Care, Cafeteria Plan, Life Insurance, PTO, Paid Holidays, Employee Assistance Program, 401K, Staff Discounts, etc. Further, we also have some very unique perks, such as discounted veterinary care and the opportunity to bring pets to work. Our onsite cafeteria serves healthy vegetarian food. Many local businesses support us by offering discounts on their services and products to Best Friends employees
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.