Details: contingent on experience
459 Vienna St.
Coleman Advocates seeks a smart, resourceful, committed individual to join its Development & Communications team. This position creates engaging content for grant proposals and reports, individual donor appeals, e-blasts, social media posts, promotional materials, and website updates. The Associate will have primary responsibility for grants tracking, prospect research, and producing timely reports and proposals based on deliverables reports from, and interviews with, program staff. They will also bottom-line social media, e-newsletter and website content development. Additionally, they will support the Development Manager in carrying out individual donor fundraising efforts, including print and on-line appeals, multi-channel peer-to-peer fundraising campaigns, and cultivation and fundraising events. This position is integral to Coleman’s ability to meet its fundraising goals.
1. Grant Writing and Prospect Research
- Write grant proposals, letters of interest and reports to funders
- Gather information from staff on program goals, objectives, activities and descriptions; Capture qualitative stories and examples of campaign and program successes.
- Work with program staff to review and define outcomes and indicators for each new grant received, and develop systems to track those deliverables, to ensure that Coleman is meeting its obligations to its funding partners.
- Carry out periodic foundation prospect research and develop prospect outreach strategies.
- Research new foundation funding opportunities and develop cultivation strategies.
2. Content Creation
- Write high-quality, inspiring communications, including donor appeals, website content, social media posts, press advisories, and electronic newsletters
- Work with program staff to collect and distill examples of Coleman’s impact for use in a variety of communications
- Assist with editorial review of printed and electronic materials (i.e., brochures, campaign flyers, event invitations, email blasts, social media posts, etc.)
3. Individual donor fundraising support
- Support production of print and electronic appeals.
- Support donation tracking and acknowledgement.
- Support prospect research.
4. Donor Events and Miscellaneous Support
- Assist Development Director with events, such as a semi-annual gala, alumni events, board member house parties, and other fundraising and cultivation events
- Support with other board, organizational and program meetings, events and activities, as needed.
- Prior grant writing/grant reporting experience.
- Strong storytelling, writing, and editing skills and ability to synthesize complex information to present it in a compelling, dynamic, and professional manner.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and economic justice.
- Ability to build trust and effectively communicate with diverse communities.
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated ability to engage critical thinking and/or problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of a small, high-performing team.
- Strong work ethic and high level of accountability.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to keep track of and make progress on various tasks at the same time
- Strong familiarity with social media platforms and tools
- Experience maintaining donor data in a CMS.
- Experience with education justice/equity issues.
- Web and/or photo editing/graphic design experience a plus.
The Development and Communications Associate position is a full time, exempt position with a starting salary range of $47,000 57,000, contingent on experience. Coleman Advocates provides a competitive salary and benefits package, including generous vacation, medical, dental, vision, among other fringe benefits.
We are an affirmative action employer. People of color and applicants with a deep understanding of San Francisco’s unique history and politics, are strongly encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of Coleman Advocates to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, veteran status, liability for service in the Armed Forces of the United States or any other classification prohibited by applicable law. Coleman works to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforces policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
Position is open until filled; applications reviewed on a rolling basis, so apply immediately! Flexible start date.
Coleman Advocates provides a competitive salary and benefits package, including generous vacation, medical, dental, vision, among other fringe benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit resume, cover letter, three references, and a writing sample (preferably a grant proposal or report) to Samantha Liapes at email@example.com by August 29, 2018. Please include “Development Associate” in subject line. No calls, please.