Details: Commensurate with experience
StrongMinds (www.strongminds.org) is a dynamic and fast growing 501(c)(3) social enterprise based in Maplewood, N.J, that focuses on one of the most underserved populations and one of the most pervasive mental illnesses in the world. We treat depression among women in Africa, where access to mental health treatment is extremely limited and we are guided by a goal to treat two million depressed African women by the end of 2025.
Since commencing field work in Uganda in 2014, StrongMinds has treated over 35,000 women with depression. We are the only organization scaling a solution to depression in Africa with a potential to serve millions of people in the next ten years.
StrongMinds has earned an impressive reputation in the global mental health space. In addition to media coverage in the New York Times and the Stanford Social Innovation Review, we are partnered with Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) following our selection in the MIT Solve Global Challenge for Brain Health. We have received numerous fellowships including from the Cordes Foundation, Rainer Arnhold Fellows and SOCAP. UK organization Founder’s Pledge has described StrongMinds as the most cost-effective mental health organization working in the developing world. We are also proud to be a founding partner of citiesRISE, the new global mental health movement.
Position: Development Manager or Director of Development
StrongMinds is looking for a seasoned development professional to build on the successful foundation laid by our Development Manager (who is sadly leaving us for personal reasons) and lead our fundraising efforts to the next level. Depending on the experience you bring, this position will be offered as a Manager or Director level.
This exciting role is integral to our ambitious growth trajectory as we dramatically scale our programs. The successful candidate will provide strategic fundraising leadership with an emphasis on procuring major individual and foundation gifts and spearheading our aggressive fundraising growth. Specifically, the role will lead efforts to raise $6+ million over the next three years by working with our existing funders, identifying and establishing new strategic relationships, creating new streams of revenue, and developing creative strategies for individual and foundation donors. We view this role as a cornerstone to building out a talented fundraising team over the coming years.
The Development Manager/Director of Development will report to and work closely with the Executive Director, as well as work with key members of the StrongMinds Board of Trustees and a new Development Analyst role to be hired, who will report directly to this position.
· Maintain and grow StrongMinds' current philanthropic portfolio which exists almost entirely of small- to mid-size foundations through strong stewardship and communication.
· Develop and execute a strategy for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major individual gift prospects, to include the use of various sized events.
· Oversee all development activities including oversight of donor research, identifying new major individual gift prospects, communication activities to include proposal writing, reporting requirements, and solicitation – in partnership with the Executive Director and Board of Trustees.
· Work closely across various organizational departments in the United States and Uganda to prepare donor materials and reports, and coordinate site visits on occasion.
· Ensure existing processes and communications address fundraising priorities to the greatest extent possible, collaborating with the StrongMinds Communications Manager.
· Manage and oversee records of communication, donor research and reporting requirements for current and prospective funding partners.
· Manage staff including a full-time Development Analyst and. periodically, interns.
· Prepare briefing materials and guidance to the Executive Director on major individual gift prospects to maximize likelihood of successful partnership.
· Oversee all donor diligence, reporting and evaluation efforts to ensure compliance with grant-maker and sponsor agreements.
· Bachelor’s degree essential.
· Master’s degree preferred.
Skills, Abilities & Experience Required:
In addition to the responsibilities and the required Qualifications/Education, there are a number of skills, abilities and experience that the successful candidate will possess:
· 5-10 years of professional development/fundraising experience with significant background in individual major gifts and foundations of all sizes.
· Proven experience cultivating high-net-worth individuals, especially in a ‘start from scratch’ environment.
· Proven success at achieving fundraising goals including cultivating, soliciting and closing major gifts.
· Experience managing a diverse portfolio of major gift prospects to be approached for gifts each year.
· Experience building fundraising systems and processes to achieve funding growth.
· Superlative oral and written communication skills particularly in relation to donor interactions.
· Adept at multi-tasking; one who thrives in an environment of rapid change.
· Exceptional organizational and time-management skills.
· Strong strategic, problem-solving and analytical skills.
· Strong work ethic, positive attitude and ability to make things happen.
· Ability to train, develop and lead staff, particularly the Development Analyst
· Team player and consensus builder who collaborates with others to achieve common goals.
· Dedicated to and passionate about the mission of StrongMinds.
· Experience in mental health or global health a bonus.
· Marketing / communication experience is a plus.
· World-class sense of humor.
Location and Travel
· Willingness to travel up to 10-20% of the year to Uganda and domestic/international conferences.
· This position is based in the Maplewood, NJ offices of StrongMinds. We are open to other U.S. locations and/or flexible work arrangements for an exceptional candidate.
As soon as possible
StrongMinds offers competitive salary/benefits and is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a thoughtful and brief cover letter and resume to Susan Ryan, Administrative Assistant, via email at email@example.com. Include whether you are applying to become the Development Manager or the Director of Development, please, in the subject line.