Details: Competitive and commensurate with experience
20 Jay St.
About Explore Schools:
Explore Schools is a network of public charter schools providing 2,000 students in Brooklyn with the outstanding education they deserve. Our mission is to provide students with the academic skills and critical-thinking abilities they need to succeed in a college-preparatory high school.
What We Believe:
- We believe that all children can learn when immersed in a rich environment full of high expectations, rigorous academics, and caring, committed adults
- It is both our privilege and responsibility to help close the opportunity gap in the Central Brooklyn community by increasing the high school graduation rate by 10%
- Equity and excellence are not mutually exclusive – we can meet the needs of all students in our schools, while actively engaging parents and driving towards excellent academic results
About the Position:
Explore Schools is seeking an experienced educational leader who demonstrates a drive toward excellence and is passionate about serving all students. Academic Coordinators are directly responsible for the coaching, growth, and evaluation of the teachers they supervise. The ideal candidate is an outstanding leader and manager of adults, who believes and invests in developing talent, while possessing a strong understanding of academic rigor and effective instruction.
Leadership & Talent Management
- Management & supervision of teachers and grade level teams, including the teacher evaluation and performance improvement process.
- Carries out the school-wide annual priority plan and collaborates with fellow leaders to execute on the instructional vision and to set instructional expectations for teams.
- Provides school-wide, grade level, and individual professional development as needed.
- Coordinates and leads meetings with grade level teams & coordinators to identify needs around instruction, culture, and operations and to execute on next steps.
- Reviews & supports lesson planning, ensuring team members have all materials necessary to provide quality instruction.
- Participate in the recruitment, selection and retention of staff.
Instructional Delivery and Student Support
- Supports with instructional initiatives as designated by the Principal or Lower School Director by providing academic support to students and small groups, including direct instruction as needed.
- Provides support and training to teachers around behavioral systems and culture-relevant practices
- Provides direct support to students relating to behavioral needs.
- Oversees teacher-family connections, ensuring that direct reports are communicating, and being responsive to, families around academic and behavioral priorities
- Ensures all support services, related services and intervention needs of students are being met, including, but not limited to family communication, revision of IEPs, CST coordination and teacher oversight.
- Plan and support instructional, non-classroom, initiatives such as family events/meetings, tutoring, afterschool clubs and field trips.
- Ensure the safety of students at all times.
- Assist with non-instructional supervision of students, as needed, such as arrival/dismissal, hallway monitoring, lunch & playground duty, or supervision/planning of extracurricular activities, and in the event of an emergency.
- Contribute to the overall success of the school and the network by welcoming related, different, and new requests; remaining aware of the demands on others; volunteering to help without being asked; keeping track of approaching deadlines and improving processes.
- Collaborate with colleagues throughout the Explore Schools network.
- 5+ years of teaching experience, preferably in an urban charter school
- Experience coaching teachers or managing adults, preferred
- A commitment to working in under-served communities
- Outstanding content knowledge throughout grades K-8
- Master’s Degree in Education, preferred
- Competitive and commensurate with experience
Minimum Education Required