Part Time Temporary
3141 Browns Valley Rd
Connolly Ranch Summer Camp Counselor
Position Description: Connolly Ranch has offered summer camps for 20 years and is accredited by the American Camp Association. Camp counselors will serve as farm educators for well-respected environmental summer day camps at Connolly Ranch.
Summer camps at Connolly Ranch offer enticing opportunities for kids to unplug and tune in to the natural world. Each week of summer, there are multiple one-week camp options that change weekly and include: Junior Farmers (ages 3-5)*, Life on the Farm (ages 5-9), Farm to Table (ages 6-12), Art Exploration (ages 5-9), and Connolly Ranch Stewards (ages 9-13). Camp activities include outdoor nature activities, animal care, gardening, cooking, arts and crafts, games, fort building, hiking and more.
Camp instructors strive to foster an appreciation and understanding of the natural world by helping children develop a sense of place, build knowledge, and encourage healthy, sustainable lifestyles. We are seeking dynamic counselors interested in environmental and agricultural education that will enhance camper’s ecological awareness and provide fun hands-on learning opportunities in a community-minded and non-competitive atmosphere.
Timeline: June 6 – August 31, 2018
Location: Connolly Ranch Education Center, 3141 Browns Valley Road, Napa, CA 94558
• Positive attitude and passion for the Connolly Ranch mission;
• Applicants must be available until at least August 10 and attend training starting June 6 to be considered;
• Experience and/or strong interest in environmental education and sustainable agriculture;
• Comfortable working with livestock;
• Experience and/or strong interest working with children in an outdoor or camp environment;
• Willingness to complete labor-intensive farm work;
• Willingness to work closely with a small team;
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
• Able to lift and carry 50lbs and lead activities in all weather conditions;
• Successful completion of a background check, camp training, and CPR/First Aid Training;
• * Candidates with early childhood education units are strongly encouraged to apply. There are potential long-term employment opportunities.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Help plan and teach interactive ecological and farm based lessons and community building activities;
• Supervise and be responsible for the safety of campers
• Communicate with campers’ parents; and help maintain camp supplies and equipment
• Work closely with other staff to plan events and special programs for entire camp
• Available to work a 5-7 hour shift Monday – Friday between 8:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.;
• Lead/teach summer camps for up to 30 children in the 5-12 year age range and/or 18 children in the 3-5 year age range, in accordance with the provided curriculum and training
• Work with the Connolly Ranch staff to complete work projects on the farm.
Compensation: $13-16/hr depending on experience
Hours: 20-38 hours per week, depending on position
Deadline: April 1 by 5pm or until position is filled
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply: Complete application at http://connollyranch.org/summer-camp-counselors/ and send cover letter and resume to email@example.com