1111 14th Street, NW
Open Date: August 29, 2018
Closing date: Open until filled.
DC Appleseed is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to solving public policy problems facing the National Capital region and improving life for residents. DC Appleseed works with broad coalitions of community leaders, government officials, attorneys, expert consultants and others, to analyze and develop practical solutions to complex, multi-faceted problems facing our community. Our mission to improve the lives of all who live and work in the DC often means focusing on marginalized communities and addressing racial, economic, educational and social inequities.
Applicants are encouraged to visit www.dcappleseed.org to learn more about DC Appleseed.
Small, dynamic, non-profit, public interest research and advocacy organization (with staff of five) needs a part-time bookkeeper with knowledge of accrual accounting and experience working with Quickbooks Online and Excel. This position comes with a flexible schedule but includes a minimum of two visits per week to the office. High standards but informal environment.
- Daily bookkeeping for the organization, including using QuickBooks Online to record deposits and pay bills, and applying appropriate internal controls to these practices.
- Ensuring bills are paid timely;
- Purchase office supplies;
- Communicating and serving as point person with payroll vendor for twice-monthly payroll dispersal;
- Tracking cash balance to inform leadership and ensure appropriate cash flow;
- Managing petty cash and reimbursements;
- Producing documents and working with auditors in the annual audit process;
- Enter monthly timekeeping data;
- Protecting and safeguarding appropriate information, with knowledge of healthy internal control practices, appropriate transparency and quality documentation.
- Troubleshooting with vendors when necessary;
- Producing and/or reviewing grant-specific or other special financial reports as requested;
- Assisting with the financial record keeping for fundraising events;
- Ensuring compliance with relevant local and federal laws;
- Communicating effectively with accountants, office manager and staff.
- Interest in DC communities and the mission of DC Appleseed;
- Strong employment experience with bookkeeping in a non-profit setting;
- Familiarity with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and local laws governing non-profit business operations;
- Associates Degree in relevant field preferred;
- Demonstrated experience with Quickbooks Online and Microsoft Office;
- Demonstrated attention to detail;
- Demonstrated experience working in a collaborative environment.
Minimum Education Required