Under the direction of the Executive Director of the LSA, Meetings Manager will provide leadership and professional expertise in the planning and implementation of all LSA events.
- Plan, execute and evaluate all aspects of the LSA’s Annual Meeting, in consultation with the Program Committee and Executive Director.
- Develop budgets and monitor revenue/expenses for LSA-sponsored events.
- In consultation with the Executive Director, develop a marketing plan for LSA-sponsored events to increase abstract submissions, attendance, exhibitors, advertisers and sponsors.
- Liaise with sister societies that co-locate their annual meetings with the LSA’s to coordinate logistics and other arrangements.
- Develop and disseminate RFPs for potential meeting sites; evaluate proposals received, and recommend preferred sites to the Executive Committee and Executive Director. Negotiate contracts for meeting site and services in consultation with Executive Director.
- Plan, execute and evaluate LSA webinars, in consultation with Editors, committee leaders and staff as appropriate.
- Provide support for the Linguistic Institute and CoLang, in consultation with the Institute and the Fellowships Committee.
- Assist with planning and logistics for LSA Executive Committee meetings, marketing and registration for LSA sponsored conferences, and other events as appropriate.
- Assist the Executive Director with planning the annual awards program and business meeting of the LSA.
- Identify and participate in discussions with the LSA Executive Committee and Executive Director on strategies, opportunities, potential conflicts and other issues related to the successful implementation of events.
- Maintain and enhance web content for events, in consultation with LSA staff and web developer.
- Baccaluareate degree in any field, with a preference for those who have taken courses in linguistics and/or world languages. CMP credential is a plus.
- Experience (1-3 years) planning events for membership associations, including a successful track record of building and growing the total number of participants through creative, innovative initiatives.
- Experience with event marketing, contracting, vendor relations, and content coordination.
- Familarity with online registration systems, abstract management, meeting apps and related software tools and services.
- This position requires occasional travel to attend the LSA Annual Meeting and Spring Executive Committee meeting.
- This part-time position will average about 20 hours per week, with more hours required during the week of the two events referenced above.
- The position will be based in Washington, DC, with the option of remote work, subject to approval.
- Creative, innovative, collaborative, congenial, diplomatic, and self-motivated. Detail-oriented.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, including the art of persuasion and making the case for participation in LSA events based on a strong value proposition..
Please send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and contact information for at least three professional references to this email address, using this subject line: Application for LSA Meetings Manager Postion. Deadline: March 7, 2021.
The LSA is committed to principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Applications from members of under-represented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.