3803 N. Fairfax Dr.
What started as a small group of families gathered around a kitchen table in 1979 has blossomed into the nation’s leading voice on mental health. The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness.
Today, we are an alliance of more than 800 local affiliates, state organizations and a national office who work in communities across the United States to raise awareness and provide support and education that was not previously available to those in need. NAMI advocates for all who are affected by mental illness, both the individuals and the people in their lives. In particular, we do not rest until we remedy injustices and intervene early to prevent needless loss of quality of life. In addition to being advocates, we educate, we listen, and we lead as evidenced by our public awareness campaigns, the range of numerous programs we provide, and our strong public policy.
WHAT’S ATTRACTIVE TO THE RIGHT CANDIDATE:
The NAMI HelpLine is central to the NAMI mission. Often the first point of contact for people looking for help with the challenges of mental illness, the HelpLine offers essential information, guidance and support. Each day your work would make a difference and change lives.
We currently have an opening for the Manager, NAMI National HelpLine. This position is responsible for the overall operations of the HelpLine, positioning this core NAMI service for increasing scale and volume while safeguarding the HelpLine’s effectiveness as it grows.
- Lead the HelpLine team in defining and achieving goals and outcomes.
- Serve as an ambassador for the HelpLine by establishing and maintaining collaborative relationships with NAMI teams, leaders in the NAMI Alliance and other organizations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops and maintains multiple HelpLine systems, produces reports and ensures resources are relevant and updated.
- Recruits, trains, onboards and develops HelpLine volunteers and interns ensuring proper skills and staffing levels are met.
- Communicates with the NAMI community through calls, email, social media and other correspondence.
- Responsible for ensuring the accuracy of HelpLine training materials, website content and data collection.
- Develops collaborative partnerships with NAMI State Organizations, Affiliates and other organizations.
- Partners with other NAMI teams to provide information, support and service on programs, projects and other initiatives.
- Conducts interviews, provides media talking points, and presents at conferences or other events.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 5 years+ professional work experience and a 4-year degree required.
- Must excel in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment. Flexible, supportive, and “can do” attitude crucial to success. This person must have integrity and credibility with staff, leaders, members, and partners.
- Strong verbal and interpersonal skills: skilled at enriching relationships while setting effective boundaries.
- Experience working in emotionally challenging situations with people who may be in distress.
- Experience managing staff or volunteers, preferably in a call center or helpline environment. Experience managing distributed teams highly desirable.
- Ability to work collaboratively across teams to achieve shared goals.
- Has knowledge and/or experience with issues relating to mental health conditions.
- Strong problem-solving skills, patience and resourcefulness in all interactions.
- Extensive Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook software skills are required, as well as Internet research abilities and strong written communication skills.
- Experience using Salesforce or other CRM systems.
- Spanish language proficiency highly desired.
This position is based in Arlington, VA
Must pass background check.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish language proficiency highly desired.
Minimum Education Required