Join an energetic team that is passionate about building a better community, through food!
The Gardens 2 Schools (G2S) Fellow will support our partner schools and teaching staff in delivering our garden-based curriculum, build buy-in to the G2S program, and grow school gardens.
This work requires a high degree of self-reliance, confidence and initiative both at the individual-level and within the Schoolyard Roots education team. A successful candidate must possess extraordinary professionalism, flexibility, intuitiveness and organization and communication skills. In addition, you must enjoy working with our energetic, high performing team in public schools that serve a diverse array of students.
What We Do:
We dream that one day every school in Alabama will have a teaching garden.
We believe that access to fresh, affordable, and sustainably grown food is a universal right. We believe that our students learn best when they put their knowledge into practice. We believe that children can be just as excited over vegetables as they are over candy. We believe that school gardens can change eating habits, improve academic success, and make learning fun.
In our G2S program, we deliver our highly effective garden-based curriculum that brings Course of Study standards into a real world environment. All of our lessons are hands-on and are designed to get kids excited about core subjects. We offer our partner schools ongoing support in implementing our curriculum, maintaining gardens, and creating positive school culture around the garden program.
Bringing excitement about garden-based instruction to the table, understanding the unique needs of teachers, and molding the G2S program to a specific school's environment are critical to maintaining this program.
What You Will Do:
- Work with Gardens 2 Schools education team to support hands-on garden lessons in our partner schools
- Assist with garden maintenance and provide professional development to schools on how to grow the garden
- Assist in professional development trainings for teachers
- Implement leadership programs at schools
- Support extra-curricular garden activities at our partner schools
- Develop, train, and partner with school stakeholders in garden maintenance and school beautification.
- Support the garden program through school culture building, including but not limited to supporting family engagement, coordinating all-school events, and partnering with school teachers to create engagement in the garden.
- Communicate with schools and Program Director on a regular basis to ensure cohesion across the program
- Recruit and maintain an active base of volunteers at each school site
What We Look For:
We are looking for staff members who can actively help us achieve our goal of bringing a garden to every school in Alabama. Additionally, strong candidates will demonstrate the following:
- Believe in making our community a better place, through food
- Associates Degree or 2 years relevant experience, Bachelors or Masters Degree preferred
- Experience teaching children in either a traditional or outdoor classroom setting preferred
- Strong communications skills and the ability to work with diverse groups of people
- Able to oversee multiple projects concurrently and remain organized
- Be self-motivated and able to work independently
- Background knowledge in gardening preferred
- Physically capable of performing the demanding tasks required in gardening, working outside for the majority of the day, and be able to lift and carry 40lbs.
- Community: we are a community-based organization and we live that motto on a daily basis. As a team member with SYR, you will feel part of a strong community of energetic people who want to make a big difference where we will. We also take care of one another at SYR and as part of our team, you are joining our family.
- Making a Difference: you will be on the frontlines of positive change in our community. Your work will impact students for the rest of their lives. You have that power and we want to harness it.
- Produce! We grow deliciously fresh produce, using organic methods. Our staff is encouraged to take produce when it's available (and share recipes, of course!).
- Beauty: the state of Alabama is stunningly beautiful. If you enjoy camping, lounging at the beach, swimming in watering holes, or even spelunking, it is all around us. Our team know some of the best spots to visit and we will be happy to share that knowledge with you.
Schoolyard Roots provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran.
This is a collaboration between Schoolyard Roots and the AmeriCorps VISTA program through the Corporation for National and Community Service. This is a one-year, full-time position. Fellows will receive an AmeriCorps VISTA Allowances Package.
Minimum Education Required