50 Hurt Plaza Southeast
KIDS IN NEED OF DEFENSE (KIND)
Social Services Coordinator
Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is an innovative partnership among the Microsoft Corporation, Angelina Jolie and other interested philanthropists, law firms and corporate supporters. As the leading national organization that works to ensure that no refugee or immigrant child faces immigration court alone, KIND is dedicated to providing pro bono representation as well as positive systemic change in both law and policy to improve the protection of unaccompanied immigrant and refugee children. KIND also engages in programming in Central America and Mexico to promote the best interests and protection of migrant children throughout the region. Launched in fall 2008, KIND is headquartered in Washington, DC and has 10 field offices across the United States.
KIND seeks a full-time Social Services Coordinator who will work with unaccompanied children survivors of crime and child abuse under the federal Victims of Crime Act (VOCA) in Atlanta, Georgia. The Social Services Coordinator will work in concert with the KIND attorneys in support of their immigration legal representation of these children by working with KIND’s child clients and their families in the Atlanta area to identify needs and gaps in services, and assist families in accessing vital social services related to education, health, mental health, housing, mediation, and child care. The ideal candidate will have experience working with and within immigrant communities in the US, will have working knowledge of the challenges and limitations in accessing public services, and have a high level of cultural competence.
Educational and Experience Requirements
* Bachelor’s degree
* Extensive experience in social work, counseling, coordinating services, or related specialty;
* At least two to three years of experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children, or experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, domestic violence, sexual assault or other violent crimes.
* Fluency in English and Spanish, spoken and written, required;
* Ability to work collaboratively, and preferably, prior experience working with attorneys, law firms, or other legal service providers;
* A strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills;
* Experience advocating on behalf of clients;
* Self-starter who will be able to grow a network of resources and contacts within different geographical areas that are part of our service area.
Commensurate with education and experience.
Managing Attorney - Atlanta Office
The Social Services Coordinator’s responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
* Develop and maintain a knowledge base of social services available to clients in assigned work areas;
* Establish working relationships and partnerships with local service providers and administrators in each service area to enhance the referral process;
* Conduct assessments of referred clients, including the larger context in which the child is living, identifying needs, barriers and safety concerns;
* Develop a service plan in conjunction with the child, his/her family, and his/her attorney, when appropriate, and maintain documentation regarding attempts to access services, and service delivery;
* Complete referrals to services, assist families in completing intake requirements for these services and follow up as necessary; and
* Assist KIND Legal staff on working with families in crisis and transition.
Work is generally performed within the office environment.
This position does not require travel outside of Atlanta.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications, including a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and contact information for three professional references, should be submitted online at: https://supportkind.org/jobs/. Applications that do not contain all of the above-listed required materials will not be considered.
Applications should be submitted as soon as possible and will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants selected for interviews will be duly notified. Please no inquiries or phone calls.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work. The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.