District of Columbia
ASBC is seeking a highly motivated, and politically engaged person as our Policy Director. Based in our DC office, you will work with the CEO to develop and implement the organization’s legislative and regulatory strategies and shape the organizations’ policy and communications campaigns. You will also work directly with companies and business organizations to identify opportunities and partnerships to advance priority issues and maintain and build our legislator relationship to impact policy outcomes. This person will ensure consistent progress towards legislative and regulatory priorities, regularly communicate with ASBC members, coordinate with partner organizations, and communicate our priorities and successes through traditional avenues and social media. The Policy Director manages the Policy Team and is responsible for seamless communication and coordination with communications and marketing staff. The Policy Director also aids with membership development and engagement.
- Collaborate with ASBC CEO and other staff to develop strategic goals – with a focus on key and emerging issues and opportunities
- Devise campaign strategies and approaches that will secure a “win” on priority issues
- Collaborate with communications team to create highly visible and impactful earned media
- Develop campaign content for the ASBC website and through social media channels that inspire others to act
- Craft and implement membership development strategies based on priorities issue areas
- Maintain and build relationships on Capitol Hill and with Federal agencies
- Seek out and create events to advance ASBC priority issues (e.g. ‘fly-ins’, earn-media opportunities, business roundtables, conference sessions, etc.)
- Develop and communicate the business case for policy change at in-person meetings and events and in written materials
- Work in partnership with our state affiliates and allies to advance state and regional campaigns and policy initiatives
- Build coalitions of ASBC members to advance policy priorities
- Execute campaign tactics to engage and mobilize members on policy actions
- Identify new partnerships and new members that will help advance ASBC’s agenda
- Directly oversee policy staff and balance workloads among the team
- Maintain a positive, collaborative, and productive workplace culture
- Bachelor’s Degree required, 10 years of experience in issue campaigns and/or a policy-related field. Advanced degree preferred.
- Capacity to identify emerging issues and develop innovative solutions to a diverse set of policy issues.
- Adept at establishing and managing strategic partnerships and coalitions.
- Ability to understand political dynamics, the concerns of different constituencies, and how to motivate members to engage in the policy process.
- Collaborative, team player, self-motivated, creative problem solver, and able to manage multiple projects.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Able to craft clear and compelling ‘action alerts,’ as well as longer, well-researched fact sheets, policy briefs, reports, etc.
- Familiarity with triple bottom line businesses a plus.
- Able to travel periodically.
It is the policy of the American Sustainable Business Council to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Send your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are looking to fill this job as soon as possible and will be reviewing resumes on a rolling basis.
Minimum Education Required