The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) is the country’s first and foremost civil and human rights law organization. Founded in 1940 under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall, who subsequently became the first Black U.S. Supreme Court Justice, LDF was launched at a time when the nation’s aspirations for equality and due process of law were stifled by widespread state-sponsored racial inequality. From that era to the present, LDF’s mission has been transformative–to achieve racial justice, equality, and an inclusive society.
LDF’s litigation, policy advocacy, organizing, and public education programs in the substantive areas of criminal justice, economic justice, education and political participation seek to ensure the fundamental and basic human rights of all people to quality education, economic opportunity, the right to vote and fully participate in democracy, and the right to a fair and just judicial system.
LDF’s Finance Department is currently seeking an experienced Director of Finance. The successful candidate will be a hands-on and participative manager and will lead and develop an internal team to support finance, business planning and budgeting. The Director of Finance will be a strategic thought-partner and report to the Chief Financial Officer.
The Director of Finance will play a critical role in strategic decision making as LDF continues to enhance its quality programming and build capacity. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance leader to maximize and strengthen the internal capacity of a well-respected, high-impact organization.
· Manage the preparation and annual filing of 990 tax returns for LDF and associated corporations;
· Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, including leading the selection of and liaising with external auditors;
· Oversee the state filing reporting process;
· Prepare the annual financial statements for LDF’s 403(b)7 Plan;
· Handle the daily administration of LDF’s Pension Plan and 403(b)7 Plan;
· Review the financial aspects of the state filings for charitable gift annuities;
· Act as liaison between LDF and our scholarship partners;
· Monitor investment returns and asset allocations in conjunction with our investment advisors;
· Review monthly all bank and investment reconciliations for accuracy;
· Responsible for the administration of 1099s and annual distribution;
· Provide approval on all journal entries for monthly bank and investment accounts/reconciliations;
· Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; including improving and updating, as needed, the Finance Department’s policy and procedure manual and internal operating practices;
· Calculation of discounted pledges for multi-year contributions;
· Review the coding of all invoices within the invoice processing system;
· Supervision of the payroll process, reporting requirements and related benefits;
· Assist Human Resources with Tax Saver Plan and COBRA administration;
· In charge of the onboarding process for new employees as it relates to the Finance Department;
· Supervision of the Finance Department staff;
· Perform annual evaluations for the Payroll and Benefits Manager and the Senior Accountant;
· Other duties as may be assigned by the Chief Financial Officer.
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting. CPA/MBA preferred;
· A minimum of 7 years of experience in the accounting profession;
· Demonstrated experience in managing staff;
· Excellent administrative, record keeping and clerical skills;
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
· Ability to solve problems creatively and proactively;
· Accuracy and attention to detail in written and oral work;
· Ability to plan workload and complete tasks in a timely fashion;
· Excellent leadership and management skills;
· A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment;
This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts or requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned. This description does not constitute a contract of employment and LDF may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.
This position is open until filled.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to:
If submitting via email, please include your name (last name, first name) in the email subject line.
Director of Human Resources/Administration
NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund
40 Rector Street, 5th floor
New York, New York 10006
The NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to you without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, veteran status, medical condition or disability, genetic information, gender identity, or any other protected status under federal, state, or local law.
The NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF) is the country’s first and foremost civil and human rights law organization. Founded in 1940 under the leadership of Thurgood Marshall, who subsequently became the first Black U.S…