100 Peabody Street, NW
Capital City is looking for a dedicated and talented High School Biology Science Teacher for the 2018-2019 school year.
This is a 10-month position, which is exempt and therefore not eligible for overtime pay under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
The many and varied responsibilities of high school teachers at Capital City include:
· Planning/teaching daily classes for 50-80 students taught in five periods per day (class size 12-20 students).
· Utilizing a workshop model to differentiate instruction and promote student engagement
· Developing learning expeditions, curriculum, and projects
· Regularly assessing student progress and using data to plan for instruction
· Meeting and planning at least weekly with a grade-level team
· Serving as an advisor to 10-14 students that involves leading a daily advisory, helping to develop the social curriculum, supporting advisees with college planning and regularly communicating with parents
· Collaborating with staff and students to implement consistent structures and develop traditions at our school
· Involving students in fieldwork and service that deepens understanding and interest
· Supporting students with completing portfolios and meeting passage requirements
· Attending a summer institute and weekly professional development sessions
· Completing narrative progress reports
· Certification to teach AP courses is highly desired
Qualifications: At least two of the following are required: Master’s degree in education or field of instruction, 2+ years of full-time teaching experience, standard teaching certification. Secondary teachers must also have an undergraduate or graduate major in their field of instruction OR have passed the required Praxis II exam for their discipline. Additionally, candidates should have: a commitment to meeting the needs of a diverse population, experience working in urban environments, strong knowledge of pedagogy and experience teaching in a constructivist way, proven ability to work as a member of a team, strong leadership capabilities, and a commitment to their own learning.
Compensation and Benefits: Capital City offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Email your resume and letter of interest to Belicia Reaves, High School Principal, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title “ High School Biology Science Teacher” in the subject line of your email. Visit our website at www.ccpcs.org for additional information about our organization.
About Our School: Capital City was founded in 2000 and now serves 983 students in grades PK-12. In 2012, the entire school relocated to a newly renovated single campus in Ward 4. Capital City has been a model for school reform in the District. The school implements the EL Education model (www.elschools.org). Through this model teachers craft expeditions that incorporate projects, research, fieldwork, and service to support students in meeting rigorous standards. Capital City’s program also emphasizes a strong social curriculum, a commitment to diversity, a strong inclusion model and the integration of arts into the curriculum.
Capital City is an equal-opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected status. All employment decisions will be made solely on the basis of the individual's qualifications as related to the requirement of the position being filled.