Long Island City
NYC Outward Bound Schools transforms schools and changes lives by bringing our educational approach to NYC’s young people and their public schools, with a focus on students from educationally underserved communities. Our educational approach joins together demanding and engaging learning, community, and character in ways that lead to high achievement for all.
We operate a citywide network of public schools in partnership with the NYC Department of Education that fully embody our educational approach. Our Network Schools use the national EL Education model, which is rooted in Outward Bound, and also feature intensive supports around college access and preparation, as well as leadership and character-building programming for students. We also bring our approach and our most effective and replicable practices to a growing number of public schools and youth-serving organizations outside of our network through our Adventure & Team Building programs and our Select Strategies professional learning services.
Since we were founded more than 30 years ago, we have helped to bring out the best in more than 100,000 students, preparing them for success in college, careers, and citizenship, while simultaneously working to redefine what educational excellence looks like in our city’s public schools.
● This position is to support the growth of our organization’s ability to use data and research to learn and improve the support we provide our network of schools
● The role will work within the Research & Evaluation team and primarily create actionable data summaries to support school and college access teams with programmatic improvement
Data Management (50%)
● Be the main point of access to pull out relevant data from the DOE ATS or STARS systems to support organizational needs
● Manage a data calendar to pull and collect relevant data from multiple sources and aggregate it
● Support the development and validate data collection tools to more effectively measure organizational progress and impact related to the Theory of Change indicators
● Provide quality assurance to all data sources including, but not limited to, NSC, ATS, and other student level data for accuracy
● Provide technical assistance around data management across the organization
● Manage the merger of specific student, teacher, school level demographic and outcome data, and NYC Outward Bound Schools output data into our network and school’s dashboard on a quarterly basis
● Synthesize data that informs the organization and outside audiences and contributes to overall understanding of the impact our programs and services have on students and schools in terms of academics, character, community and culture, and college access and success.
● Support the creation of evaluation/impact reports on programmatic and organizational activities and outcomes. As requested, create summaries of school or program data
● Support the development of school level reports and data analysis to improve student achievement outcomes.
● Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s preferred) in education policy, learning analytics or other relevant background
● Two (2) years interning/working in a data setting, preferably within an education organization
● Advanced skills in Excel, SPSS, R, Python or other statistical software
● Proficient in using Tableau for data visualization
● Knowledge of DOE systems ATS and STARS
● Understanding of measuring and evaluation best practices
● Qualitative and quantitative analysis
Professional and Personal Characteristics
● Keen eye for detail and passion for quality assurance when dealing with large amounts of data
● You love finding ways to present messy data in clear and meaningful ways to a variety of audiences
● You have a demonstrated ability to be an analytical thinker
● You’re passionate about the use of data to help improve schools and student outcomes
● Teaching experience a plus
Ideal candidates will share the belief that: (our Core Values)
● All people are capable of doing great things when they are challenged and supported appropriately.
● Learning happens best in a community that actively encourages and practices respect, empathy, safety, inclusion, and diversity.
● Development of character is as important as the development of intellect, and that the two go hand in hand.
Compensation and Benefits
● We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
● We offer medical, dental, and vision coverage as well as HRA/FSA/Transit accounts, life insurance, 403(b) with employer match after one year, sick leave, and generous PTO.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should upload a cover letter and resume via our applicant tracking system
NYC Outward Bound Schools is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination against, and
harassment of, any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, gender,
pregnancy, genetic information, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status,
military or veteran status, qualified individuals with a disability on the basis of the disability, or any other
category which may be protected under applicable state or federal law.
No phone calls please. We appreciate all responses, but due to the high volume of resumes received, we
can only contact those applicants whose qualifications best match the position requirements.