Senior Policy Counsel or Strategist Privacy & Technology
- Job posted by New York Civil Liberties Union
125 Broad Street
Senior Policy Counsel or Strategist
Privacy & Technology
Position: Privacy & Technology Senior Policy Counsel or Strategist
Terms of Employment: Full-Time
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience; NYCLU has a generous and competitive benefits package)
Location: New York Civil Liberties Union, 125 Broad Street, N.Y., N.Y.
Application deadline: September 15, 2019 or until the position is filled. Applications will be accepted and reviewed immediately.
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951 as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with nearly 200,000 members and supporters and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures, and on the streets to advocate for the full range of civil rights and civil liberties, including racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
The NYCLU seeks an experienced and innovative Privacy & Technology Senior Policy Counsel or Strategist who thrives in a collaborative organization and can skillfully handle diverse approaches to a broad privacy, free speech, and technology docket.
The Privacy & Technology Senior Policy Counsel or Strategist will be responsible for implementing multi-disciplinary, proactive projects and responding to immediate threats in the areas of government surveillance, consumer privacy, and free speech on the internet. A particular focus will be on issues around Algorithmic Accountability, smart city surveillance infrastructures, and other technologies undermining civil liberties. The Privacy & Technology Senior Policy Counsel or Strategist will be responsible for integrating a range of legal and policy strategies that may include, but not limited to, legal, policy, and technical research, legislative and agency lawyering, litigation and legal analysis, civic engagement, coalition development, public education, and strategic communications.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Conduct legal, policy, and technical research about the civil liberties and civil rights impact of government actions and consumer technologies, design and lead public records request projects, and participate in litigation and amicus briefs;
· Defend and expand the right to privacy, with the goal of increasing the control that individuals have over their personal information; tactics include developing legal and policy positions, working with government officials, and contributing to public education and strategic communication materials;
· Engage in legislative, agency, and political process lawyering, and support legal and policy efforts, including evaluating local and state legislation and ballot measures, helping to develop new legislation and policy models, drafting local and state advocacy letters, and providing expertise to policymakers;
· Maintain relationships with technology experts, public interest groups, government officials, community stakeholders, and academics to engage them in our work and implement collaborative projects, and foster positive working relationships and opportunities to collaborate with state and national ACLU staff;
· Monitor technologies and technological developments to identify emerging threats to civil rights and liberties;
· Serve as a key spokesperson and resource for the NYCLU on issues of technology in the press, in internal discussions and strategy development, and in NYCLU publications;
· Engage in other activities to advance the work of the Project.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
· J.D. or graduate degree in a field such as public policy, information science, computer science, or political science.
· 7+ years of experience in legal, policy, or technical analysis in areas at the intersection of technology and privacy, free speech, or broader civil rights. Litigation experience is a plus.
· Familiarity with programming languages, algorithms, and computational logic.
· Excellent research and analytical skills are a must, along with a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate complex legal and technical issues to a variety of audiences.
· Ability to develop and implement strategic initiatives and manage multiple issues at once.
· Extremely strong project and time management skills, including a high level of organization, attention to detail, and follow-through.
· Demonstrated experience engaging in creative problem solving and taking initiative, while utilizing a solutions-oriented approach and exhibiting flexibility and good judgment.
· Demonstrated experience engaging and working with and/or on behalf of underrepresented communities.
· Ability to develop allies and work collaboratively and diplomatically.
· Demonstrated commitment to diversity and a personal approach that values and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstances.
· Initiative, vision and ability to develop and implement short and long-term policy strategies utilizing a broad range of political and lobbying tactics.
· Ability to work independently when necessary and keep organized in a fast-paced environment, manage several projects simultaneously and adjust strategy to frequently changing demands.
· Willingness to travel within New York State for speaking events, meetings, and conferences.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should email a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Privacy & Technology Senior Policy Counsel or Strategist” in the subject line.
The NYCLU is proud to be an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants regardless of race, sex, gender identity, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.