The Policy Strategist is responsible for advancing the state-based advocacy efforts of Advancing Justice-LA. Utilizing a strong understanding of the California legislative process, this position will identify opportunities to uplift key issues of concern with state legislative staff and administrative policy makers in order shape policies that positively impact the AANHPI communities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate in planning and implementing a comprehensive policy strategy aligned with organizational priorities
- Provide legislative and strategic guidance and tools to Advancing Justice-LA staff and community partners, including policy analysis, power-mapping and decision-maker
- Analyze state legislative and other policy proposals and draft policy analyses designed to influence state policymakers.
- Maintain strong relationships with state legislative staff and key organizational partners who are engaged in ongoing policy advocacy efforts.
- Serve as ambassador of Advancing Justice-LA’s mission and policy and advocacy priorities; develop and maintain relationships across constituents and partners
- All other duties as assigned
- At least three years of experience working on legislative policy advocacy
- Strong familiarity with local, state and federal budget and/or legislative processes
- Experience working with diverse coalitions and collaborations. Demonstrated ability to build relationships with decision makers, community partners and diverse stakeholders
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and a strong understanding of the issues impacting the AANHPI communities
- Subject matter experience on policy issues impacting AANHMPI communities and AJ-LA’s priority areas a plus, such as immigration, education equity, and voting rights
- Excellent written and oral communications skills and an ability to help shape broader communications strategies
- Able to regularly travel once it is deemed safe to do so