3030 12th Street Northeast
District of Columbia
Job Title: Bookkeeper/Grant Administrator
Open dates: Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis
Classification: Exempt, Full-Time
Location: Washington, D.C.
Casey Trees is a Washington D.C.-based nonprofit, established in 2002, committed to restoring, enhancing and protecting the tree canopy of the nation’s capital. To fulfill this mission, we plant trees, engage thousands of volunteers in tree planting and care, provide year-round education courses, monitor the city’s tree canopy, develop interactive online tree tools and work with elected officials, developers, and community groups to protect and care for existing trees and to encourage the addition of new ones.
The Bookkeeper/Grant Administrator oversees a variety of bookkeeping and grant management functions, activities, and programs. The incumbent is highly organized, detail oriented, self-motivated and able to manage multiple assignments, and internal and external relationships to ensure accurate and timely outputs. As a team member of our nonprofit organization, the incumbent advocates for Casey Trees’ mission and in particular, the motto: connecting people to trees, through trees, and to Casey Trees.
The following essential functions are representative for the Bookkeeper/Grant Administrator including, but not limited to:
Bookkeeping Functions (70%)
- Performs accounts payable (AP) activities including, but not limited to: coding and entering invoices; tracking missing receipts and documentation; checking for discrepancies; collecting W-9’s and COI’s; cutting checks; reconciling monthly credit cards; and processing staff reimbursements
- Performs accounts receivable (AR) activities including, but not limited to: reconciling monthly donations and processing deposits by preparing check deposit pickup slips, entering deposits into Quickbooks, and exchanging bags with NCB representatives
- Maintains/reconciles petty cash and monthly salary allocation
Grant Management (25%)
- Manages and supports the life-cycle of all grants for the organization including, but not limited to: identifies/develops strategies to optimize the grants administration process; oversees grant applications, proposals, and reporting materials; and general administration of all Casey Trees’ grants
- Coordinates with departmental grant writers/internal stakeholders to ensure a high quality grant management process including, but not limited, to copy editing, reviewing, and submitting grant materials
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills to keep key stakeholders informed of deadlines, work responsibilities, and deliverables
- Manages financial/budget plans and allocation in accordance with grant requirements including, but not limited to: preparing, making and tracking payments; generating financial reports; and ensuring compliance with electronic files
- Conducts market research to analyze budget trends and makes recommendations to internal key stakeholders
- Provides training to the new staff on grants management and reporting requirements
Administrative Functions (5%)
- Performs a wide variety of administrative tasks including, but not limited to: answering phones, greeting guests, ordering office supplies, posting job announcements, conducting security orientations, etc.
- Documents and maintains files such as organization charts, telephone roster, birthdays and anniversaries announcements, staff dietary updates, vehicle reconciliation, etc.
- Manages the intake, processing, and distribution of Casey Trees Mail and controls the postage meter and stamp inventory
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Financial Management
- Project Management
- Customer/Client Focus
- Communication Proficiency
- Technical Capacity
- Collaboration Skills
- Ethical Conduct
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week. The incumbent must be able and willing to work evenings, weekends, and extended hours when needed.
Local travel for various purposes may be required during the business day. Occasional travel out of the area for training/seminars/events, etc., requiring overnight stay may be expected.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- Strong Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Thoughtful, organized, highly collaborative with great attention to detail
- Demonstrated success working in a team environment; both internally and externally
- Experience formulating and adhering to budgets
- Must be able to manage multiple activities simultaneously
- Must be able to establish, track, and meet deadlines, often under pressure
- Two or more years of experience in tracking and managing grant deliverables
- Prior experience in the nonprofit sector
- This is a full-time position starting immediately, with excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, paid holidays, and time off.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please enter Bookkeeper/Grant Administrator in the subject line of your message and email the following items to Jon Lobeck, Human Resources Generalist at email@example.com:
- Résumé (if applicable)
- Available start date
- Salary requirements
- Contact information for three references
You may also mail these items to:
3030 12th Street NE
Washington, DC 20017
Please note that final candidates will be subject to a background check at time of conditional offer.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Casey Trees is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.