386 Smith Street
Sojourner House is a domestic and sexual violence non-profit organization with offices in Providence and northern Rhode Island that provides direct services and educational programming to the community. With an annual budget of slightly over $2 million, the agency relies on assistance from volunteers to help with direct client services, administrative tasks, and fundraising initiatives. The Volunteer Coordinator will work closely with Sojourner House staff to recruit, train, manage, and retain volunteers at the organization.
The Volunteer Coordinator will be motivated, passionate, organized, detail-oriented, possess superior communications skills (both oral and written), have prior experience with managing volunteers, and be fluent in social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Mail Chimp, etc.).
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
· Recruits and interviews individuals to volunteer and intern at Sojourner House;
· Oversees the curriculum, content, and implementation of a volunteer training at least three times a year for new interns/volunteers;
· Responds to prospective inquiries about volunteer work that is available via email and in-person meetings;
· Ensures that volunteers have a work plan and direct supervisor on staff at Sojourner House;
· Provides training to new volunteers to orient them to their new role;
· Organizes on-going training opportunities for volunteers;
· Works with volunteers and staff to provide assistance for tabling opportunities at community events;
· Ensures proper recording and documentation of volunteer hours for grant compliance;
· Assists with hotline coverage at Sojourner House’s location when necessary;
· Helps facilitate the acceptance of in-kind donations from community members and delegates donations to different shelters/locations as needed;
· Plans volunteer appreciation events as appropriate;
· Directly supervises a small number of volunteers/interns;
· Speaks at colleges, fairs, and community events about volunteer opportunities and the work that Sojourner House does in the community;
· Provides presentations about domestic violence to community groups as requested;
· Assists with social media platforms and ensures the posting of regular content about volunteer work, opportunities, and news at the agency;
· Develops content for a regular e-newsletter and a quarterly print newsletter to showcase the work of volunteers and the work that Sojourner House does;
· Assists with website maintenance, monthly e-newsletters, blog posts, and other communications work as assigned.
· Works with volunteers to organize the bulk mailing process for donor appeals and fundraising campaign solicitations;
· Other duties as assigned by Sojourner House management.
Full benefits (health insurance, dental insurance, 401(k) plan, and access to an Employer Assistance Plan).
Level of Language Proficiency
English, and familiarity with Spanish is a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a resume, cover letter, and list of 2-3 references to Eileen at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, "Volunteer Coordinator."
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and close on Friday, October 24, 2018.
Sojourner House is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.