1630 S Commerce St
The Culinary Workers Union (UNITE HERE Local 226) is seeking a committed activist to be a Boycott Organizer. Be a part of a movement of low wage workers that is confronting corporate greed and mistreatment of workers, raising the standards of service sector jobs, and winning dignity and respect on the job through solidarity and action.
The Culinary Workers Union is a national leader in winning justice and raising standards of living for service workers in the gaming industry. The Culinary represents 57,000 workers in the gaming, food service and laundry industries, and is focused on empowering workers through strategic organizing. Over the past two decades, the union has organized tens of thousands of gaming workers, tripling its membership from 18,000 in 1987 to 57,000 today.
For more information about the Culinary: https://www.facebook.com/Culinary226.
Boycott Organizers develop strategy to move customers from boycotted properties, work with worker committees and lead teams of volunteer activists to plan and carry out creative actions to help enforce boycotts. The work is typically 40% - Coordinating and executing creative actions at strategic locations to help enforce boycotts and 60% - Research and campaign related work.
• Must have passion for low wage and other worker struggles;
• Must have previous activist experience -- boycott experience a plus;
• Must be assertive and have excellent language, writing and computer skills.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
• Researching casino clients;
• Developing and carrying out strategy to move clients from casinos that are driving down industry standards;
• Recruiting/developing/maintaining volunteer committees;
• Working with community and labor allies;
• Coordinating actions such as leafleting, delegations and marches, including frequent early morning actions.
Excellent free health benefits and retirement
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
You will be asked to upload your resume, cover letter and a writing sample.