Youth Program Middle School Math Tutor (part time, 10 mo/yr)
- Job posted by Canal Alliance - Marin, California
Details: Compensation is commensurate with experience
91 Larkspur Street
Great opportunity for college students or retired teachers!
About the Organization
For more than three decades Canal Alliance has been the leading service provider and community advocate for Marin's low-income, Spanish speaking immigrants. Canal Alliance helps vulnerable members of this target population acquire the tools they need to thrive.
Canal Alliance University Prep (UP!) is a college readiness and success program designed to support students in their journey to enroll in and graduate from a 4 year university.
The Middle School Math Tutor collaborates with a team of professionals to provide wrap-around support for approximately 40 youth on their path toward college completion. A successful candidate will be a passionate believer in the power of education to improve the lives of immigrant youth and their families.
Specifically, the Math Tutor is responsible for providing 1 on 1 or small group tutoring, student progress monitoring, and goal setting. Candidates should have the ability to work Monday 4:15-6:45pm, Tuesday 3:30-6:45pm, and Wednesday 2:30-6:45pm (10 hrs/week).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide tutoring in middle school math
- Maintain tutoring session notes using Salesforce
- Assess student learning and monitor progress
- Conduct regular goal setting meetings with students
- Modify instructional program of individual students based on student data
- Build positive and respectful relationships with students
- Communicate consistently and assist in identifying needs of students
- Participate in a weekly staff meeting
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and ability required.
- Effective tutoring skills
- Ability to identify gaps in learning, and adjust teaching to meet student needs
- Strong math content knowledge
- Ability to effectively communicate information both verbally and in writing
- Ability to establish cooperative working relationships with staff, students, and volunteers
- Ability to function with minimal supervision, follow directions, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
Education and Experience Requirements
- Middle or high school tutoring/teaching experience
- Bachelor’s Degree, or working towards a degree
- Computer literacy
- Experience working with Latino, immigrant or low income communities
- Experience working with English language learners (preferred)
Canal Alliance Equity and Inclusion Statement
Canal Alliance actively promotes and recognizes principles of fairness, equity, and social justice in relation to, and across, intersections of race, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, disability, ancestry and all other identities represented among our diverse employees.
By appreciating the importance of inclusion, we acknowledge that the collective and individual talents, skills, and perspectives of our staff foster a culture of belonging, safety, collaborative practice, innovation, and mutual respect.
Canal Alliance is committed to the transformation of attitudes and systems that deprive any person or group of these principals.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to HR@canalalliance.org. Only electronic applications will be accepted. (Keep it green!) Please indicate “Middle School Math Tutor – YOUR NAME” in the subject line of your email.