4139 El Camino Way
Annual Reviews (AR) is a nonprofit publisher dedicated to synthesizing and integrating knowledge for the progress of science and the benefit of society.
We are currently seeking a proactive, professional, and personable Executive Assistant/ Corporate Officer in our Palo Alto office. This position offers the opportunity to collaborate with and be an important part of our Management Team, act as an officer of our organization, and provide exceptional executive level administrative support to our President & Editor-in-Chief (PEIC).
As Executive Assistant:
- Schedule appointments and meetings and maintain PEIC calendar, keeping PEIC informed throughout the day of meetings, issues requiring attention, and deadlines.
- Compose correspondence and assist with preparing and editing reports and presentations.
- Provide broad administrative support including preparing PEIC expense reports; filing, handling incoming and outgoing mail, and coordinating PEIC travel to Editorial Committee Meetings, conferences, and other meetings.
- Provide support to senior members of the Management Team (to support Editorial Committee Management and corporate governance) and to the Board as needed.
- Assist with special projects.
As Corporate Officer:
- Manage and oversee the planning and execution of all corporate governance meetings, including scheduling meetings; creating corporate meeting agendas; and creating accurate, comprehensive, and legally compliant meeting minutes.
- Serve as a resource to the Board of Directors and senior management, providing advice and counsel on responsibilities and logistics. Learn and demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the governance process and ensure board’s actions are in line with legal requirements and the organization’s bylaws.
- Act as custodian of official records, ensuring all documentation is securely stored and readily available when required for reporting or elections. Distribute any confidential documents in an appropriate and secure manner.
- Manage journal trademark registrations.
- Work with the PEIC and Associate Editor-in-Chief (AEIC) to manage Editorial Committee membership transitions and associated issues.
- Research and create Board of Directors’ ballots for Editorial Committee nominees and implement appropriate follow-up actions, including initiating invitation letters and updating key databases.
- Participate actively as a member of the AR Management Team (MT) to help guide the organization. Schedule, and distribute action points following, monthly MT meetings.
- Act as signing officer for the organization reviewing and approving non-payroll company payables.
- Consult with outside counsel on corporate legal matters, as appropriate.
- Assist with preparation and proofreading of communications as needed.
- 3+ years of related experience, preferably reporting to executive management or working as a manager; BA/BS strongly preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience; Prior experience with managing calendars, organizing meetings, and planning events. Experience working with a board of directors preferred
- Excellent Computer Skills: Advanced knowledge and skills with MS Office Suite: Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint; proficiency in Adobe Acrobat and internet research; prior experience using database software and ability to master organization’s proprietary database (Pivotal); and great transcription skills with the ability to quickly take meeting minutes
- Outstanding verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to effectively organize thoughts and information, communicate with diplomacy, and demonstrate professional decorum
- Ability to confidently speak to or address Board of Directors, governing committee members, and Editorial Committee members one to one or in a large meeting
- Ability to develop and maintain long-term business relationships with academia
- Ability to analyze situations effectively, demonstrate excellent judgment and decision-making skills, and take appropriate action when needed
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to produce accurate and high-quality work
- Strong organizational skills and focus with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously, follow-through and meet deadlines, and anticipate what needs to or should be done next
- A strong work ethic, resourceful with the ability to work well independently and self-manage while recognizing situations that require the PEIC’s attention
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to group dynamics and work collaboratively with others
- Ability to handle sensitive information with the highest level of professionalism and confidentiality
- Strong proofreading skills
- Reliable, dependable, flexible, service oriented, and good sense of humor
- A willingness to persist when needed and respectfully disagree or question an issue during discussions with your manager for the benefit of the organization
- Ability to quickly learn and understand business operations and how each department functions and works together to accomplish organizational objectives
- Ability to work on weekends (2-3 times a year)
- An interest in scholarly publishing and a strong desire to engage with the organization’s mission preferred
- A familiarity with nonprofit organizations and the structure and process of board and/or committee meetings desired
- Proficiency with foreign language(s) a plus
Annual Reviews is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, mental and physical disability, medical condition, age, and protected Veteran status.
If, because of your disability, you require a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please contact the Director of Human Resources at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Annual Reviews offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits including a business casual work environment, a great health benefits package, personal enrichment benefits, gym reimbursement, a tuition reimbursement program, a matching gifts program, regular employee events and celebrations, free on-site yoga and meditation classes, and most importantly, the ability to work with an amazing group of people who care about each other and their work.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you possess the above requirements, please submit your cover letter and resume by applying online at: