443 Massachusetts Ave
The Boston Impact Initiative Fund is focused on economic justice, which means we invest in opportunity for all people—especially those most oppressed or abandoned by our current economic system—to lead a dignified and productive life. We invest integrated capital (equity, debt and grants) in regenerative local enterprises that restore the productive capacity of communities of color in Eastern Massachusetts.
We are a 501(c)3 charitable loan fund raising $10M to provide a unique opportunity for values-aligned accredited and non-accredited investors to direct capital to help close the racial wealth divide. We are seeking a full-time Portfolio Manager to work closely with the Managing Director to develop a strong and vibrant portfolio.
We are seeking someone who shares our beliefs that:
- Current capital markets aren’t working
- Investment decisions should not be strictly financial
- We have much to learn from emerging models of impact investing, solidarity economics and justice movements
As Portfolio Manager, you’ll identify innovative and inclusive opportunities for lending and investing, manage and monitor portfolio performance, and build partnerships with local organizations. The successful candidate has experience in financial analysis and deal decisions, and a willingness to apply those skills in directing capital toward social change.
The Portfolio Manager will work in partnership with the principals plus a small group of advisors and staff. You will also be responsible for growing and managing our network of pro bono volunteers that provide due diligence, legal support and technical assistance to our entrepreneurs.
Most important, the Portfolio Manager will maintain good relations and integrity in the community and in transactions with prospective and completed investments. We are committed to healthy, long-term relationships with our portfolio companies, providing technical assistance so we can support their efforts to grow their business and deepen their social impact. An essential responsibility of this position is to model what can be done with capital and partnerships to help build a resilient and equitable local economy.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Identify opportunities for investing, lending and grantmaking
- Perform robust investment analysis, due diligence and market research
- Select and present investment opportunities to investment committee
- Coordinate closing process, including impact covenants and capital disbursement
- Maintain healthy relationships with all portfolio organizations by supporting them in increasing financial resilience and social impact
- Measure and track portfolio companies to ensure they meet impact and financial targets and reporting obligations
Desired Skills and Experience
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in lending and/or investing
- Ability to create advanced spreadsheets and basic accounting
- Ability to be self-directed; entrepreneurial experience a plus
- Willingness to continuously learn and adapt
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication
- Experience living and working in Boston a plus
The Boston Impact Initiative Fund is an equal opportunity employer. Boston residents, women, people of color, immigrants, queer and gender nonconforming people strongly encouraged to apply.
Our benefits package includes individual health care coverage, paid vacation and sick days, flexible scheduling, a transportation stipend and career development opportunities.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual in Spanish a plus
Minimum Education Required