Empatico, an initiative of The KIND Foundation, is a free tool for educators to connect their classrooms with others around the world. Our mission is to give millions of educators and students the opportunity to tell their stories, explore their similarities and differences, and practice empathy through meaningful, virtual connections. Empatico was created to produce a more empathetic future generation with a greater understanding of the world and the people within it. Named a Fast Company 2018 World Changing Idea, we recently completed our first year of operation and have already reached more than 4,600 classrooms in 100+ countries.
About The KIND Foundation
The KIND Foundation is a philanthropic entity established by KIND Healthy Snacks. Our mission, to foster kinder and more empathetic communities, is brought to life through a variety of programming meant to celebrate and inspire positive action. In 2016, through a program called KIND People, the Foundation celebrated seven individuals transforming their communities through kindness with $1.1 million in prizes. In 2017, the Foundation announced its signature endeavor Empatico, a $20 million multi-year initiative. To learn more, go to: kindsnacks.com/foundation.
We are looking for an Email Marketing Specialist to lead our email marketing channel, help build the Empatico community, perfect the Empatico “voice,” and communicate our value proposition to both prospective and current teachers. This is a new position on a growing team, and you will play a critical role in testing marketing tactics and establishing the foundation for Empatico to achieve scale over time. You will report to and work closely with the Marketing & Growth Manager to use technology, analytics, and user insights to craft stronger, more impactful content that drives acquisition and engagement.
The ideal candidate is a creative and effective communicator who enjoys creating compelling email content and utilizing data to improve efforts. They are a quick learner who can seamlessly flow between high level strategy to managing details and coordinating cross-functionally across the team.
The scope of work for this role will evolve as we learn and grow. In the near-term, the Email Marketing Specialist will primarily focus on the following areas:
Email campaign development, management, and optimization to drive user acquisition and engagement
- Manage email marketing campaigns end-to-end, including planning, cadence, targeting/ segmentation, copywriting, set-up, testing, execution, reporting, and optimization
- Work closely with creative and product teams to anticipate messaging needs and develop email creative approach that brings Empatico to life for current and prospective users
Evaluate email performance, provide actionable recommendations, and deliver continuous improvements to our email program
- Implement strategy to test and analyze success of content/tactics, share learnings with broader team, and translate lessons into an improved approach
- Take the lead in investigating and implementing new technologies, services, automation capabilities, and/or vendor solutions
Support product messaging and Empatico team more broadly
- Support in-product copy development such as SMS, system notifications/alerts, and management of transactional emails
- Contribute to annual strategic and tactical planning
- Other projects as they arise
The ideal candidate for this position will have:
- At least 3-5 years of professional experience developing and executing strategy in email marketing, either with a focus on growth/user acquisition or product marketing, preferably in a startup environment or mission-driven education organization
- Basic understanding of digital marketing principles, with knowledge of best practices for email creative and templates, segmentation, dynamic content, testing methodologies, deliverability, and relevant regulation such as CAN-SPAM and GDPR
- Track record of exceptional conceptual writing and editing capabilities
- Demonstrated ability to understand the context and motivations of others and translate that into compelling content that inspires others to take action
- A desire for ownership and decision-making with a willingness to test new approaches to figure out what works; thrives in a startup environment
- Strong organizational skills, high level of efficiency, and ability to manage priorities and operations across multiple projects
- Experience with Mailchimp and HTML, or other email campaign management systems
- Fluency in a second language beyond English and/or experience living in a country outside the U.S., preferred but not required
In addition, all Empatico team members will have:
- Empathy for, understanding of, and respect for the teaching profession
- Deep commitment to the values of Empatico and a passion for connecting young people across cities and countries
- Flexible and adaptive work style with the ability to thrive in a growing, entrepreneurial, mission-driven environment
- Demonstrated self-starter with the ability to learn quickly, identify problems/opportunities, and be resourceful in taking action
- Highly collaborative approach to achieving success and a willingness to approach team members with grace, empathy, and a sense of humor
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited university
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you’re not sure whether you cover all these but feel passionate about our mission, we strongly encourage you to apply. To apply, please send resume and statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Email Marketing Specialist
The KIND Foundation provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The KIND Foundation complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The KIND Foundation expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Kind Foundation’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.