Details: Starting salary will be between $55K - $65K depending on applicant’s experience and include benefits.
5084 De Zavala Road
Removal Defense Staff Attorney
The Removal Defense Staff Attorney will be responsible for the provision of high quality immigration legal services to low-income immigrants in removal proceedings, both detained and non-detained, in the San Antonio area, extending to south Texas counties and detention centers. These responsibilities include, among other things, the supervision and training of support staff and volunteers. The attorney should be capable of working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, where collaboration is key. The attorney should be flexible, communicative, and open to new ideas.
Coordination with National JFON
The attorney will participate in case review meetings as necessary. The attorney is encouraged to discuss cases and program issues freely with the Regional Attorney and other JFON attorneys. At least once a year, the staff attorney may be required to participate in a national organizing and training conference of the Justice for Our Neighbors network.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Provide consultations and screen immigrants in detention to ascertain immigration relief;
• Handle reasonable caseload providing direct representation to individuals in immigration removal proceedings eligible for immigration relief;
• Provide representation to individuals in other proceedings, such as federal courts and BIA;
• Monitor detention conditions and access to counsel issues;
• Participate in education and outreach to the immigrant community;
• Maintain program statistics, client databases and files, and provide reports as required;
• Work collaboratively as part of a cohort;
• Mentor a volunteer, legal fellow, intern or extern; and
• Engagement with stakeholders, including legal community, funders, and public officials.
As a Justice for Our Neighbors staff attorney, the staff attorney will be covered by the
National JFON program’s professional liability insurance.
Level of Language Proficiency
English, Spanish, Other
Minimum Education Required