1300 L Street NW
KIDS IN NEED OF DEFENSE
Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is an innovative partnership among the Microsoft Corporation, Angelina Jolie and other interested philanthropists, law firms and corporate supporters. As the leading national organization that works to ensure that no refugee or immigrant child faces immigration court alone, KIND is dedicated to providing pro bono representation as well as positive systemic change in both law and policy to improve the protection of unaccompanied immigrant and refugee children. KIND also engages in programming in Central America and Mexico to promote the best interests and protection of migrant children throughout the region. Launched in fall 2008, KIND is headquartered in Washington, DC and has 10 field offices across the United States
KIND seeks a temporary, full-time Paralegal for its Washington, D.C. field office to support attorneys with case preparation for direct representation clients, assist with interpretation and translation, assist with outreach and community education events, assist with pro bono placement and related duties, and help manage other administrative duties in the office, including database and file management. This is a full-time role funded through September 30, 2018 with the potential for extension.
Educational and Experience Requirements
Experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children, or experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma;
1. Fluency in Spanish required;
2. Experience conducting intakes and office management preferred;
3. A strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills;
4. Ability to work collaboratively, and preferably prior experience working with individual attorneys, law firms, or legal services organizations ;
5. Experience in data management;
6. Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; and
7. Experience working in immigration law and with immigration authorities or with family law issues or substantially equivalent experience preferred.
Commensurate with education and experience.
Direct Representation Attorney
The staff member will have, but not be limited to, the following responsibilities:
1. Liaise with colleague NGOs to receive case referrals and ensure that referrals comply with KIND's case acceptance criteria;
2. Interview, screen and conduct a comprehensive intake with each individual child in Spanish;
3. Coordinate and present at outreach, Know-Your-Rights presentations, or community education events as needed;
4. Provide translation and interpretation between English and Spanish as needed;
5. Assist with case preparation for direct representation of clients and help prepare filings for state court, the asylum office, and immigration agencies;
6. Assist with pro bono placement and related duties;
7. Prepare and manage docket lists for upcoming court hearing dates; and
8. Assist with office administration and case management, including data entry.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications, including a cover letter, resume, salary range requirements, writing sample, and three references, should be submitted online at: https://supportkind.org/jobs/
Applications that do not contain all of the above-listed required materials will not be considered.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and applicants selected for
interviews will be duly notified. Please no inquiries or phone calls.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work.
The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.